Ranking
Original Post
[Read Me] Ingame and Forum Conduct
There has been a lot of reports recently about the behaviour of some of the new members to Toribash in game. Because of this, a guide has been written to tell you what is acceptable behaviour, what will get you punished and what will lead to a sour experience for you and other players.

1.)Flaming (Name calling/insulting/generally being abusive): This stands as a major rule and is often enforced. This covers all types of abusive behaviour, from insulting peoples name to skill level. If you feel you are a victim of this rule breaking or notice another member of the community being abused, take a screenshot and contact a super moderator (Blue named member) they will take appropriate action against the rule breaker. A list of current super moderators can be found, here.

2.)Accepting Defeat: Although there is no written rule stating, you must be a good loser it is highly frowned upon to complain, moan or claim that the other player was lucky when you have been beaten. This spoils everyone’s experience and isn’t making you look tough. Be polite, congratulate the other player, and maybe even make a joke about how you lost at the very least say something along the lines of “gg” (Good game). This makes playing the game much more fulfilling and you’ll find you make new friends much quicker. This applies to winning as well, don’t be a cocky dick.

3.)Begging/Harassing Senior Members: I know I’m not the only one who finds this annoying. Don’t whatever you do beg for TC, items, textures etc of more experienced members. A lot of them are pretty elite players and don’t want to be bothered by this. This doesn’t mean you should be afraid to ask them for help or advice the members at Toribash are generally pretty level headed, easy to get along with people. If you are met back with hostility refer to the rules on flaming or just ignore them.

4.)Boasting: Good job you just beat someone several belts higher than you. You might feel a rush of excitement or just want to rub it in the face of your victim. So, you say "omg i jsut beat master belt omg!" Now everyone thinks you're a noob and they might even feel like you are harassing them if you repeatedly boast. Also, don't brag about beating notable players, its much easier than one might originally think and it makes everyone look down on you.

5.)Use Common Sense: Most importantly, just use your brain. Anything that would annoy you is most likely going to annoy others players.

Following this guide is a sure way to become a well respected and liked member of the community, this is the kind of members we’re really looking for. You’ll make new friends, be invited to clans and organisations and hopefully really enjoy yourself here. Thanks for reading.

Originally Posted by BirdFlu View Post
This is a guide for newcomers on how to be a respected, liked and contributary member of the Toribash Community. It will list the main aspects of the community, as well as certain "do's and don'ts" of the forum. If you want to become famous, and not infamous, in the Toribash world, be sure to pay attention!

Top Tips

1. ALWAYS make sure your posts are relevant and sensible

It seems obvious, but many people get this wrong. Always make sure that what your posting is relevent to the thread title, and that your not going off on some random tangent. For example, in a thread about kickboxing replays, don't post with a great new head texture you just made. Similarly, make sure what your saying is actually contibuting to the thread topic. For example, don't just post in a discussion thread whether you think he issue is "good or bad". Explain why, and put some effort into your post. That way, people will see you as a serious member.

2. Make sure your posts make sense and are written in good English

Remember, just because it's the internet, doesn't mean you should write as if your were at a special-needs nursery school's English class. People will look up to you much more if your posts are easy to read and understand, and make grammatical sense. "GUYZ I NEEDSSX HEL^PS PLZ MY COMPUTWSWE IT BDROKJED AND IT DOESNH@T WORK" isn't going to get a great response compared to: "Hey guys, can someone help me with my problem please? My computer doesn't seem to be working. Anyone got any idea what's wrong?"
This doesn't mean you have to write in Shakespearean English, just read through your posts and make sure they are legible and correct.

3. Treat other members with respect, and don't hold grudges

It's simple really, treat other members how your would like to be treated yourself, and never sink to the level of flaming. The most popular and well-known members in the community are generally nice people, who will constructively critisize if neccessary, but never break down into random insults and bursts of caps lock. Even if you really don't like a member, still talk to him like you would anyone else, and people will most probably lean torwards you in any stand-off you may find yourself in. Flaming and trolling are both signs of weakness on the internet, as our retaliating to them with more of the same.

NEVER over-use smileys

This is a simple rule of thumb which will make sure that people take your posts seriously, and don't just dismiss them straight away as being nooby and not worth their time. One or two smileys per post should be more than enough, and you should never use anything other than , or on special occasions . Take these two examples. Which one looks better at first glance?

Well that sucks. You would definately bypass him, and go onto this guy:

Much better. The advantages of not abusing smileys are obvious.

5. Post count and join date mean nothing

Don't try and win an argument by stating that "My postcount is bigger!" or "I joined earlier". This will just make you look like an idiot, and not help your situation. Your post count is just a stupid meaningless number, and no-one cares about your join date. The only thing that matters is your attitude and ability.

6. Respect the authority of the mods

This is a pretty obvious way to keep yourself out of trouble. Arguing with the mods with most likely end up with bad consequences for you, and just make you look like and idiot to everyone else. Mods like nothing better than using people as examples, and their infract finger is generally twitchy. Just accept your fate, or you will likely just make the situation worse for yourself.

7. Be funny, but not stupid

There's nothing wrong with being funny, and in many ways, the Toribash Community is rather geared torwards humour. It will raise your popularity, and people like a member who makes them smile. But remember, there is a time and place for humour, and there's a fine line between being funny and being an idiot. A small amount of generally funny stuff is better than a shitload of 4chan memes and stupid jokes.

Last edited by Chozo; Feb 18, 2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: what wibbles?
Added a section and closed the thread. I don't think we need random useless comments attached to this. If anyone wants something added, PM me or Fee or any other beginner's sanctuary moderator. You can see the list of us at the bottom of the page.

Deleted all posts before, Tiddiness is a virtue ~ Zinx
Last edited by Zinx; Jul 9, 2010 at 01:00 AM.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well
Updated thread: Added a section from BirdFlu's tutorial on how to maintain a good reputation within the community. The original tutorial can be found here. Props to BirdFlu.
Last edited by Fee; Jul 14, 2010 at 11:56 PM.