Ranking
Original Post
Window VS Linux
I'm sick of hearing "Windows VS Mac" so let's try something different.

Me and my non-toribash friend was fighting over whats better Windows or Linux

But the funny part is he uses windows 7 :3

Discuss...
Last edited by DesiTwist; Jan 19, 2010 at 05:22 AM.
Proud leader of [TANG]
Old Schooler
I use Windows, I simply don't want to take all the time and effort to get a Linux.
Clan Blood Leader
It's not that much effort, Hopea.

And kenork: You can get Wine, which will let you use windows programs in linux.

Well, I'm the laziest guy you'll never know.
Also I hear Wine isn't perfect.
Also I wonder why there is Windows vs Linux and Windows vs Mac but no Linux vs Mac.
-Hopea
Last edited by Hopea; Jan 20, 2010 at 10:42 PM.
i liek turtelz xd
Originally Posted by m0o
Apples and oranges. Who cares, let's move on people.

I see what you did there.

Also, I prefer Windows, but I haven't had any experience with Linux, so my opinion is pretty much null and void.
How to complain in style: GG, Mahulk.
If you take money into account, then Linux is a better option if you don't want to play modern games or strictly use a windows-only software that is unable to run with wine.

Linux has everything a person might need. Its the perfect OS for netbooks and general working desktop and/or Servers.

Btw.. For example NASA uses mainly Linux because its safer, stable and more customizable... And cheaper, too.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
^So it's kind of like a bare-bones OS? Sounds like a nice way to optimize performance... I might look into this; if I get a new computer soon, I'll shove Windows 7 on there and then replace my current PC's OS with Linux for schoolwork etc purposes.
How to complain in style: GG, Mahulk.
RDM: All depends on the distribution. A distro like minicore only has the essentials to get things running, and is a barebones. However, distros like Debian have a crapload of free programs that work almost as well, if not better, than the windows counterparts.

And Linux is perfect for schoolwork.

Btw, linux is based on unix, and so is OSX. So, if you've used OSX, you can adapt to Linux fairly easilier(Is that a word?) than a windows user.
i liek turtelz xd
I have been using linux for about 5+ years now. And really all the versus are mostly opinions. In some situations the different OSes all have positives and negatives.
The pluses to microsoft are mostly umm .... corporate? Not sure if there is a word for what I am thinking. But the pluses for microsoft, are familiarity, and most companies write their programs (games etc.) for it. Because it is supported by money, you also get advertising, so more public coverage.
Pluses to Apple/Mac is the image of simplicity and sophistication, also with advertising.
Due to lack of advertising linux/unix has been "underground" for a long time. It was mostly used in sever environments due to its massive amount of hardware support, and stability. Over the last decade or so it has moved into the desktop / end user segment more.
The other thing that has reduced some people's understanding of *nix is the wide variety of the distrubutions. A distribution is many things, but easiest way to explain it, is the idea of flavors. You get ice cream. It is ice cream, no matter if it is chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, or chunky monkey. It is mostly how it is packaged.
The other thing which I heard recently that makes sense, is that people grew up using a certain system. Usually a Mac or a Microsoft. So you "know" that system. No need to "learn" it. Most people don't like the other systems because they are different, or because they have to learn them. How they respond, what happens when you press this big red button versus the big blue button.
Okay I am rambling, time for me to goto bed. I am not being to coherent.