Toribash
Original Post
What program was TB made with?
Ive been wondering, since toribash is really simple, what was TB made with.

I like to use a game engine called unity3d. I probably could make a game like toribash but with better graphics.
Last edited by darkspace; Apr 5, 2010 at 08:37 PM.
I'd like to a famous youtuber. =3
You like COD? --- >MONTAGE<
Unity's ragdolls don't lend well to dismembering... Unless you fork out the money to buy Pro, they have a habbit of re-forming. :s Either way you'd end up making most the game in 'late-update' (all the start & stop game play) so it would run slow as hell.

TB's good ol' C++, SDL, GL & other stuff like that.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by darkspace View Post
since toribash is really simple

This made me lol.

Anyways, if you need the specifics you should contact hampa. Also permission, since developers don't normally like people making a game like theirs.

But unity3d does look like a program that could probably do it. Just make sure you know that YOU can do it before spending all that money, though.
i liek turtelz xd
Technically it is possible to do in Unity, well to a degree. A basic TB style game could be made with the indie (free) version but it wouldn't have anywhere near the complexity where gameplay is concerned. The main issue being their ragdolls like staying as ragdolls (eg flopping and not moving), and multi-mesh 'characters' can be a nightmare to dissemble and keep that way - you'd literally have to force the objects to stay split and recalculate the physics after everything else (thus having to do the majority in lateupdate).

Gameplay like Sumotori dreams would be incredibly easy to do in Unity, personally I wouldn't attempt to do TB in Unity, too much to calculate inbetween rendering the screen would kill it.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
well what if you did one WITHOUT Dismemberment.
Just a thought.
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
-Mohandas Gandhi
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
well what if you did one WITHOUT Dismemberment.
Just a thought.

That would be easier, still a lot of work to do the turn based movements. TBH if you were going to make a ragdoll fighter in Unity you'd be better off taking advantage of what Unity is good at.

You could allow players to design moves (in an options or custom section for example) and then use them for fighting when actually playing the game.

An even better target would be Glitchracer, that could be copied in Unity easily. Once again the dismembering ragdoll could be an issue, but that's only a visual thing. Thinking about it, if someone dedicated a few days they would have a fully working prototype.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by darkshadow8 View Post
Mm, I think it uses macromedia flash. That's what my friends said too.

Awesome sarcasm. >_>

Originally Posted by Bloobing View Post
is TB a simple game like he said?

Graphically yes, the rest of it's beyond complex. At face value it just looks like standard ragdolls with a physics engine ontop, but there's a lot more than that going on.

<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Last I checked, TB does NOT use ragdolls. I figure it'd be easier with only primitives and constraints anyways though.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!