Servers: 3, Players: 3, Games: 84,398,075

Toribash Community » Toribash » Tutorials

Old Dec 26, 2007   #1
3vi1

10th Dan Black Belt

Converting a prospective texture file to a .TGA, without use of the converter site
Due to the problems that the texture converter site is currently suffering - effectively rendering it impossible for anyone to upload a file for conversion - I've decided to write a simple tutorial on how to convert a file to an uncompressed .TGA so it's ready for uploading into the game. While the method might seem obvious, I've found that a surprising number of people don't know how to do this.

If you've got Photoshop, follow these steps:
  • Open Photoshop
  • File -> Open
  • Find the file you want, which should be a 128x128px file of any image format.
  • Open it.
  • File -> Save As
  • Change the "Format" tab to "Targa"
  • If the file is intended to be a head, save the file with the same name as your username; i.e. I'd name it 3vi1.tga. This isn’t necessary, but can solve problems occasionally.
  • Ignore the options popup that appears and press the "OK" button.

Your texture should now be ready to upload. If you're not lucky enough to own a copy of Photoshop, follow these steps:
  • Download The GIMP from www.gimp.org
  • Install it.
  • File -> Open
  • Find the file you want, which should be a 128x128px file of any image format.
  • Open it.
  • File -> Save As
  • Find the small "Select File Type (By Extension)" button, located at the bottom-left of the window that opens. Click on it.
  • Scroll down and select "TarGA image".
  • If the file is intended to be a head, save the file with the same name as your username; i.e. I'd name it 3vi1.tga. This isn’t necessary, but can solve problems occasionally.
  • Click Save.
  • A popup should appear with two tickboxes. Uncheck the one that is labelled "RLE Compression". Click Save.

Your texture should now be ready to upload.

If you have any other problems, read through this tutorial again. Also read any info you can find, including other tutorials, about textures, and use the search button. If you can’t find anything that helps, then feel free to ask here or PM me with your problem.
"Call yourself alive? I promise you you'll be deafened by dust falling on the furniture,
you'll feel your eyebrows turning to two gashes, and your shoulder blades will ache for want of wings."

Last edited by 3vi1; Dec 27, 2007 at 03:06 PM..
3vi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007   #2
littlenooby

Black Belt

WELL I ALREADY KNEW THAT BUT GOOD TUTORIAL ANYWAY
Edit: oops all caps sorry XD
littlenooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007   #3
box
Super Moderator

Cardboard Belt
Clan: no

Nice tutorial. Helped me! +Rep
16:58 < eleeleth> that's not why I'm a quitter tho
16:58 < eleeleth> that's just because I enjoy cock in my anus
box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007   #4
skulloman

10th Dan Black Belt
Clan: FROG

just to add a word, you can do exactly the same with paint.net
skulloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007   #5
3vi1

10th Dan Black Belt

Yes, I'm sure you can and could do so with Paintshop/any number of other image editing programs. But these are the only ones that I have any experience with that can.
"Call yourself alive? I promise you you'll be deafened by dust falling on the furniture,
you'll feel your eyebrows turning to two gashes, and your shoulder blades will ache for want of wings."
3vi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2007   #6
SlainVeteran
I has a flavour

Brown Belt
Clan: bncy

I have now managed to do some work on the image2tga site. I have managed to get everything but BMP loading working, so you can now use it to convert GIF, JPG, PNG, TGA and XPM to the toribash TGA format.
SlainVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008   #7
Mapleleaf
dragons

Black Belt

12-30-2007

3 month bump much?

refrain from bumping in the future...
Mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote