Ranking
Original Post
Fan problem while gaming.
Hey guys last night I was playing some WoW and my fans went into overdrive, sounded like a room of fans.

This only happens when I play memory hog games,

Here are some specs
Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 processor (2.0GHz/1MB L2/667MHz FSB)
3GB DDR2-667 RAM
160GB 5400RPM hard drive (Western Digital WD1600BEVT)
Mobile intel graphics media accelerator 4500M
Atheros AR5B91 802.11 Draft-N wireless
DVD Super-Multi drive
Full-size keyboard w/ number pad
Weight: 5.9 lbs
Six-cell battery (11.1V, 46Wh/4600mAh
But whats the Problem?
-Fan stops
-Fan Melted <- happens

-Thats supposed to happen, but you may check eventually - Too much of that and it CAN melt
Last edited by Tekro; Jul 21, 2010 at 04:30 PM.

boricua

Sounds like that fans revved up, like they should, to cool down your pc when it gets hot from the processing due to gaming.

They are still functional right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Laptops tend to do that when under stress. It might also do the same thing when you are trying to install a game.
Originally Posted by Tekro View Post
But whats the Problem?
-Fan stops
-Fan Melted <- happens

-Thats supposed to happen, but you may check eventually - Too much of that and it CAN melt

Shuts off at a certain temperature
The fans installed work perfectly.
I'll check a couple of things, like installing a game to see if thats the problem.
it's most likely a temperature issue. how old is this laptop? also are the vents blocked by any immediate objects? if the laptop is moderately old (ie a year or two or even 6 months) try blowing out the vents with an air compressor or an air can, also if your laptop is around any objects try elevating the laptop and keeping it away from objects that block vents
You don't say?
the heatsinks could be plugged up by dirt. i would try to blow out your laptop with an air compressor or an air can. that will probably fix your overheating problem although it is normal that your fans will come on during memory/cpu intensive programs it's not normal that it would overheat.
You don't say?
Originally Posted by Organ View Post
the heatsinks could be plugged up by dirt. i would try to blow out your laptop with an air compressor or an air can. that will probably fix your overheating problem although it is normal that your fans will come on during memory/cpu intensive programs it's not normal that it would overheat.

That. Or:

- Get an active cooling platform/dock for your laptop. (active = with fans) Even if you don't turn it on (since it makes noise) it'll provide a better surface for your laptop to "breathe" underneath.
- Open your laptop or ask an expert to do it for you and replace the thermal grease.

I had overheating problems once in 2008 with my laptop (Asus X53Sa) causing it to shutdown. So then I opened it up, took out the heatpipes and replaced the stock thermal grease (wiped it) and applied a good quality one (Arctic Cooling MX-2).

Never had a problem since. Not even on the hottest days.

That will most likely make your laptop a little bit more silent.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Jul 21, 2010 at 08:18 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
i agree, i've taken apart quite a bit of laptops though and they're not all easy to work on. some of them have panels that get you right to the heatsink but others you have to take the whole damn thing apart to get to it which is why i suggested what i did
You don't say?