people playing: 166, servers online: 47, games played: 135,357,139 Top Player: Shmevin

Toribash Community » Help » FAQ
Register FAQ General Rules Community

Old Dec 6, 2010   #1
Trials
ub3r

10th Dan Black Belt

Toribash Hardware Requirements & Updating Drivers
Toribash Performance and Compatability Issues

As Toribash has aged, the updates to it have made it progressively more resource intensive (and better looking!), as such support solves more problems than ever by telling people to update their drivers, or end up guiding them through the process. This thread aims to explain how all users can make sure they are capable of running Toribash, and will tell them to what degree they can run it.

IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE SO FIRST, PLEASE TRY RESTARTING YOUR COMPUTER BEFORE CONTINUING. AFTER UPDATING DRIVERS OR VC++, PLEASE RESTART YOUR SYSTEM TO COMMIT CHANGES.

Sections:
  • A) Toribash Requirements.
  • B) Your Hardware.
  • C) Updating Drivers.
  • D) Error Reports & Issues.
  • E) ATI, Intel or SIS Memory Management Issues.
  • F) Setting Driver Performance / Quality.
  • G) Backdating Toribash.
  • H) Visual C++ for version 3.91 onwards.
  • I) Nvidia Optimus for Laptop Users.
  • J) Linux Users Fix.

A) Toribash Requirements.

Toribash has three levels of requirements:
The default graphics are low resource intensive and designed to work on as many computers as possible.
Shaders are designed to enhance the games looks further, but requires more from your computer.
Real Time Ray Tracing (RTRT) is designed mostly for use with movie making with Toribash, and not for playing, and is very demanding.

Minimum requirements:
Intel: GMA 950 (or GMA Mobile 945) and up.
ATI/AMD: X-Series 300 and up, Radeon-Series 9600 and up.
Nvidia: Geforce 6000 and up.

Recommended Minimum:
Intel: Core i-Series integrated GPU (still glitchy)
ATI/AMD: Radeon HD-Series 4650 and up.
Nvidia: Geforce 8xxx-Series and up.

RTRT Minimum:
Intel: Core i-Series integrated GPU (still glitchy)
ATI/AMD: Radeon HD-Series 4650 and up.
Nvidia: Geforce 2xx-Series and up.

It's worth bearing in mind the following:
Intel GPU's often emulate shaders, and will be very slow, if they work at all. Using the in game command /chatcache followed by a 0, 1, 2 or 3 can help with comparability.
ATI GPU's have VRAM problems, and can use up to twice the normal VRAM when running Toribash, use the in game command: /chatcache 1 to help fix this issue.
Toribash requiers a minimum of 128MB's of VRAM.
Toribash requires Shader model 2.0 for 'Shaders' to run, and Shader model 4.0 for RTRT.

More information.

B) Your Hardware.

To update your drivers you have to have information on your hardware, there is a lot of helpful information and this is how to gather it all:

First off if you use windows, you could also try this Tool SkulFuk kindly made: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=143153
Or you could try this video, it shows three ways to gather your graphics card name and make:

Otherwise this list explains it all:
  • Method 1) First off if you know who made your computer (I.E. a company like HP, DELL, Apple, SONY etc.) then you can simply go to your computer makers website to get hardware information on your model.
  • Method 2) If you are using Windows, you can right click 'My Computer', then select 'Properties', then the 'system# tab tells you information about your system.
  • Method 3) If you are using Windows, you can run dxdiag by either: (XP) Start -> Run : 'dxdiag', run dxdiag. or (Vista/7): Start -> Search bar: dxdiag, run dxdiag.
  • Method 4) If you are using Mac OSX: Click the apple icon, go to "About This Mac" and click more Info. You should see your graphics card under hardware->Graphics/Displays.

The information on your hardware that you want is simple:
  1. Computer manufacturer and model.
  2. Operating System
  3. GPU make and model.
  4. Motherboard make and model.
  5. Amount of RAM

C) Updating Drivers.

Updating your drivers can improve performance and compatibility, reducing the number of problems you encounter in all games and applications. Once you know enough about your hardware to continue, updating your drivers is normally quite easy, especially if your computer was made by a big company like DELL or Apple, here are the methods for updating your drivers, and some useful links:

Windows:
Method 1) Go to your manufactures website and update your drivers from their support and downloads page.
Method 2) Gather hardware information specified in section B, and go to the motherboard & GPU manufactures pages, you will then have to select your model or series and update drivers there.

Mac:
Method 1) Click the Apple, on the Apple menu click 'Software Update', if there is a driver update available it will be included in the Mac OSX update.

Typical GPU manufactures driver websites:
Intel: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/defa...iid=gg_support
Nvidia: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx
ATI/AMD: http://www.amd.com/uk/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx

You can also use alternative driver providers, for instance windows based laptops can benefit from ATI or Nvidia driver tools found here: Nvidia | ATI. ATI GPU users unsatisfied with ATI drivers can use the Omega Drivers (provided they still run windows XP and have an old ATI card). The Omega drivers are also available for Nvidia, however Nvidia's drivers normally don't have a problem with Toribash.

D) Error Reports & Issues.

It is possible to access error logs outputted by Toribash which can be used to help identify a problem, first off how you can access these logs:

Windows:
Provided you have installed Toribash in the default location, you can open 'My computer', then go into the Local Disk ( C: ), then 'Games', then 'Toribash x.x' (where x.x is your version number) ( C: \Games\Toribash x.x\ ) once in the Toribash installation folder, find the txt file: 'stderr', and open it.

OSX:
Start the application called 'Console' before starting Toribash (it's in Applications > Utilities > Console), and then start Toribash, or turn on Shaders, or anything else you think could be causing an error, and error messages will now put output to the Console.

Common errors you can expect if you can't run Shaders include:
  • 'GL_EXT_framebuffer_object not supported' or 'No shader extension found'
  • 'Unable to support shaders at all. You might want to try updating your graphics driver if you have not done so'

If you get these errors, make sure your drivers are up to date, and check your hardware against the minimum requirements.

If Toribash freezes or crashes on you, make sure your drivers are updated, and to copy the data in the error logs so that people can aid in solving your problems.

If you see a 'u' on the screen, (and that's all) then you should update your drivers, if you have up-to-date drivers, then check that your graphics card is within the minimum requirements.

E) ATI, Intel or SIS Memory Management Issues.

For ATI, Intel and SIS GPU's, it is known that Toribash stores VRAM incorrectly, due to OpenGL support being limited on these GPU's.
Given this the developers added the "chatcache" option to alter memory management and solve this issue.
If you have any of these makes of cards, you should alter Toribash to start up with different memory management enabled.

To do this:
  • Right click your Toribash application short cut.
  • Select "properties".
  • Find the "Target" field.
  • Alter the Target field to read: \\Toribash-3.9\tb.exe -chatcache 1 (Where '\\' is your Toribash installation location (The default installation location for Toribash is "C:/Games/Toribash-3.9/"))

You should try -chatcache "1" through to "5", you should notice a recognizable performance increase if your performance was low before.
Testing on my ATI Radeon HD 4870X2 showed a 40% increase in performance with unlocked frame rates.

F) Setting Driver Performance / Quality.

All current driver software allows the user to adjust the settings of their GPU, and there are a couple of reasons you might want to change the settings:
A) You find Toribash has bury or distorted text, textures or reflections.
B) Toribash is running particularly slow.

If you find that Toribash has blurred text you should open your driver tools and set performance to a higher quality (lower performance) setting.
If you find that Toribash is running slow you should open your driver tools and set performance to a lower quality (higher performance) setting.

To change your driver settings:
Intel: Open the Intel GMA control panel from the tray (bottom right of the tool bar) and set the quality settings to "maximum performance" or "maximum quality" depending on your needs.
ATI: Right click the CCC Tray icon, select; 3D Settings, Standard settings, then "Optimal Quality" or "Optimal Performance", you should also turn "catalyst AI" On or Off (try both).
Nvidia: Right click the desktop background and select 'NVIDIA Control Panel', now go to '3D settings', 'Adjust image settings with preview' and select 'Use my preference emphasising:' then drag the slider to 'Quality' or 'Performance'.
SIS: Unknown, please post if you know how.

G) Backdating Toribash.

If you can't get Toribash to work with any of the other methods listed, you may need to use an older version of Toribash, old setup files are stored on Jarmund's servers:
http://toribash.jarmund.net/clients/
Please make sure you patch the client with Vox's handy 3.6+ -> 3.93 server fix, which will let you access the new servers using an old version:
http://vox.jarmund.net/ServerHotfix.exe

H) Visual C++ for version 3.91 onwards.

Version 3.91 of Toribash requires that your visual C++ framework be up to date, if you find that you can load freeplay, but not multiplayer, and older versions of Toribash work, then this is probably the issue stopping Toribash from working.
To fix this problem just go to the VC++ 2010 download page, download the framework and install.
For x86 (32bit) systems only: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...3-37bf0912db84
For x64 (64bit) systems only: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...F-9350143D5867
Note that this solution is windows only.

I) Nvidia Optimus for Laptop Users

If you have a laptop with a recent Nvidia graphics card and an Intel IGP you will likley be running Nvidia Optimus. Nvidia optimus saves you battery power by only using the GPU when it needs to, which means it has to automaticaly detect when it should and shouldn't use it, unfortunately for Toribash, it detects this wrong. To fix this, right click the desktop background, select the Nvidia control panel, this will open your Nvidia CP. Once on the NCP, go to the 'manage 3D settings' option on the left pane, then click the 'program settings' option. Once in program settings, simply click 'add', browse to your Toribash instillation directory (by default it's C:/Games\Toribash-x.xx\ (where x.xx is your version number)) and select tb.exe, then just make sure it uses your dedicated Nvidia GPU, not the integrated Intel chip. You're done, Toribash should now run faster than ever.

Here's easy tutorial with helpfull pictures: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=358851

More information: http://blogs.nvidia.com/2010/07/take...mus-interface/

J) Linux Users

If you use Linux it is currently suggested you use WINE to run Toribash: http://www.winehq.org/
If you can not use WINE then your stuck using an old rather buggy fix that may / may-not work: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=130996
Hopefully new Linux versions will be developed in future.

Contributors:
Aspire, simmeh, SkulFuk, Stilf, Vox, firebolty.
Thanks to:
suomynona, Trials, Jarmund.

Polish translation 

Portuguese translation 

Spanish translation 

Last edited by NANI; Nov 27, 2016 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: Edited title
Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011   #2
Vox
NON-EXISTING!

Black Belt

And now the whole thing as an image:

Threw it into a spoiler because it was stretching the page.

Last edited by Vox; Oct 10, 2011 at 03:14 PM..
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012   #3
durdur

Orange Belt

Bump.
Some older GPUs support shaders. You say Radeon HD 4650 and up. I have a Radeon HD 2400 PRO at 256mb. Mine supports pixel shaders 1.0 - 4.0. You may need to change it so that people don't assume it's exclusively from there on up.

EDIT: RTRT runs at about 25 FPS. On a Pentium 4 at 3.2Ghz and 2Gb RAM, that's pretty playable. Fancier than what I need, but playable.

Last edited by durdur; Jun 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM..
durdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2012   #4
*SkulFuk

This is a Belt
Clan: Parrot

Originally Posted by durdur View Post
Bump.
Some older GPUs support shaders. You say Radeon HD 4650 and up. I have a Radeon HD 2400 PRO at 256mb. Mine supports pixel shaders 1.0 - 4.0. You may need to change it so that people don't assume it's exclusively from there on up.

EDIT: RTRT runs at about 25 FPS. On a Pentium 4 at 3.2Ghz and 2Gb RAM, that's pretty playable. Fancier than what I need, but playable.

It's vertex shaders, not pixel shaders. ;)

SkulFuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2012   #5
Ryuk
Forumite

Custom Belt
Clan: Undead

Hello I have a problem with my pc. When I open the Toribash he is so, why? I have everything here look, someone can help me?
Toribash Photo - http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=aesf1i&s=6
video card - http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2yv4aww&s=6

Thank's.
shinigami
Ryuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012   #6
charbel262

Black Belt

hello i am having an error with the multiplayer screen. It keeps crashing. i tried updating my drivers (intel) but i didnt understand how. So i got skulfuk's tool and used the error finding tool and got this. can someone tell me what's wrong please? i love toribash but it's no fun without multiplayer.
The Error Log 
Charbel262: Is it possible to make a flame... around the crotch area?
Qubic: Absolutely
charbel262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012   #7
marcus

5th Dan Black Belt
Clan: spirit

The problem is that it's intel... What version of Toribash are you using? The latest seems to fix it for a few people. You might try downloading that and seeing if you have any luck.
[spirit]
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012   #8
charbel262

Black Belt

I am using the latest version aka 4.2
I have been waiting for this version so bad. turns out it doesn't work now
Old Oct 31, 2012   #9
charbel262

Black Belt

bump.

Please does anyone know how to fix my problem?
Old Oct 31, 2012   #10
marcus

5th Dan Black Belt
Clan: spirit

You should really first work out updating your drivers because that could possibly fix the problem. (Although even new drivers from Intel tend to not work.) Check back here if you update them and it still doesn't work.

You might end up having to pick and choose which ones will work for you. But we will get to that later (If need be).

EDIT: Also, Just as a side note. The servers are currently down. So even if you did get it working you wouldn't be able to connect to multiplayer at this moment. You might wanna wait and try when they are back up.
[spirit]

Last edited by marcus; Oct 31, 2012 at 09:32 PM..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote