Toribash
Original Post
VIDEO GAMES BEING BANNED!!!
VIDEO GAMES BEING BANNED!!! read Up On this because of a school esay i have to do and heard on whats happening so i wrote my essay here:

From 3rd Hour Mrs.Jake
Hello, I am here today to talk to you about why video games should not be banned because of their mature content. I believe that mature rated video games should not be banned because it is a way for the developers of the game to express themselves. As far as I’m concerned the U.S. has a document called the bill of rights correct? And in these rights does it not state in the very first amendment that we, as Americans, have the right to free speech and also the freedom of the press does it not? If you truly believe in this 1st amendment right then why do you not let these video game developers express themselves the best (if not the only) way they can just as you and I like to express our selves. Continue reading so that I may explain why mature rated games are not so bad after all.

Although studies have shown that mature rated video games can cause a certain increase in aggression, but video games rarely relate to murders or crime. Most of the “incidents” that have been thought to have been caused by video games were never backed up with evidence that the video game was involved with the crime at all (again MOST of the time). Take Virginia tech massacre of 2007, for example, after the massacre was over many people claimed that the killer was an avid “Counter-Strike” player. This later was disproved by the police who found no evidence suggesting that the video game was to blame. Still many people insisted that it was the video game’s fault afterwards. Most people just like to blame things on stuff that they do not like In order to get them in trouble.

Another point I must state is that if a video game has so much impact on people because of the violence, drugs, and such then why don’t movies, books, and music fall under the category of “dangerous to society”? Movies contain just as much (maybe even more) violent scenes of people, REAL people, suffering through pain and murder and such (I’m looking at you SAW) so why do the movies not fall under the category of “dangerous”, because they appeal to the audiences. What about music you may ask? How is this “dangerous”? Well music is just as dangerous because it is easily available to most audiences, especially children. Rap for example is a genre of music usually talking about one’s life and experiences, which most likely end up being that they killed someone. How is that any better than video games?

My last point I want to get across is the distribution of mature rated content to children. Why do you think it is that most children have played games like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty? It’s because of the parents. Who else would get the game for the child; they themselves cannot buy a mature rated video game. The only reason children are exposed to the violence and crime of some games is because of the parent’s ignorance. Most parents blame the game for encouraging their kid to do violent and offensive acts, when in reality it was their own fault all along. Children’s mind’s are like sponges. The child always wants to replicate what they see and if what they see is a man strangling a cat, they would want to strangle a cat too simply because they saw someone do it. If parents want to expose their kids to violent material, they should not blame the inanimate picture or movie for teaching their kid to sell drugs.

In conclusion I do not think that mature rated video games should be banned. As I stated before it is not the content’s fault, it is the parents own fault for exposing their child to such content. Video games are not the only violent material out there. Movies, music, and books fall under such category too. I hope you give my words a thought or two. Thank you for your time and patience.

I Hope They Do SomeThing About THIS!!
* hampa just placed a 10000 TC bet for magisbomb to win
<magisbomb> I'm puttin this on my SIG

Challenge Accepted

Originally Posted by negrinjr View Post
Although studies have shown that mature rated video games can cause a certain increase in aggression, but video games rarely relate to murders or crime.

Children’s mind’s are like sponges. The child always wants to replicate what they see and if what they see is a man strangling a cat, they would want to strangle a cat too simply because they saw someone do it.

You've contradicted yourself. GG.
Originally Posted by FNugget View Post

Challenge Accepted

You've contradicted yourself. GG.

/thread

Fixed.

Boredpayne Moderated Message:
User infracted, useless post, etc.
Last edited by Boredpayne; Mar 12, 2011 at 05:30 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
Never concede an opponent's point, especially when it is not even true @_@
User infracted, did not contribute to the discussion.

War_Hero Moderated Message:
Reversed.
Last edited by War_Hero; Mar 12, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
but video games rarely relate to murders or crime.

The Hitman series and Grand Theft Auto series are great examples of why this statement is false -.-
Originally Posted by 4zb41 View Post
The Hitman series and Grand Theft Auto series are great examples of why this statement is false -.-

to say that is so wrong people are trying to get out of jail reduced sentences ect. but it has never been held up in court
-----
like you said music movies and such i hate when a murder gets caught and it turns out he listen to metal there is a huge thing about it but serial killers such as bundy who listen to mozart and classical music, criminals will commit crimes and i highly doubt games, movies, or music have ever caused someone to commit a crime they wouldnt have commit otherwise
Last edited by AusKingd0m; Mar 12, 2011 at 05:12 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Playing Toribash Again! Old friends feel free to pm me, or new friends ;).
[OLDA][EXTREME]
Originally Posted by AusKingd0m View Post
to say that is so wrong people are trying to get out of jail reduced sentences ect. but it has never been held up in court
-----
like you said music movies and such i hate when a murder gets caught and it turns out he listen to metal there is a huge thing about it but serial killers such as bundy who listen to mozart and classical music, criminals will commit crimes and i highly doubt games, movies, or music have ever caused someone to commit a crime they wouldnt have commit otherwise

Ah, it would appear I have misread what he wrote.
Never mind, I thought he meant murders and crime were not alluded to, or were the main point in video games.
However there was one recorded incident of some idiot trying to rob a store by planning the robbery through GTA:San Andreas :P

Ok, point negated, carry on gentlemen.
I've been playing first person shooters since I was 2, I'd sit on my Dad's lap and play Doom and I have never tried to kill anyone, sure, I've gotten into fights at school, but that's bound to happen some time. I've never seen any reports on people murdering anyone else because of a game, I've seen accusations of it, but they're unconfirmed.

How do you stop a baby from crawling around?

Wait, so has Jack Thompson corupted the minds of officials and an actual debate has started about games?

Or is this just a 'rate my essay!' thread?
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
Never concede an opponent's point, especially when it is not even true @_@
User infracted, did not contribute to the discussion.

Yeah Gorman! HOW DARE YOU HELP THIS KID ON HIS ESSAY!
__________________________________________________ _

Anyways, your essay presents lots of good points, however it is written rather childishly. Try to refrain from using words like "I think" "As far as I'm concerned", and filler like your last two sentences, also, don't try to be witty, clever, or cute, lay the facts out in a professional manner and give commentary to persuade people to your point of view.

To discuss on the videogames, yes, some of them are an outlet for creativity, but others are mindless violence, and some people think that they are detrimental to children. A useful way to counter this argument would be to throw in statistics, a quick google search could find you a source or two.