Ranking
Original Post
DoTA 2!!!!!
DO NOT spam this thread with "please give me beta invites" or you'll be warned and/or infracted. If you really want one then write a decently long paragraph and ask ONCE. This is the only warning.

Dota 2 is an upcoming action fantasy strategy video game being developed by Valve Corporation. It is the stand-alone sequel to the popular Warcraft III custom map, Defense of the Ancients. The title was formally announced on October 13, 2010 via the Game Informer website.[1] The game currently has a tentative release of late 2011, which would make it Valve's second release of the year, following Portal 2.[2] The game's lead designer is the longest-serving and current developer of Defense of the Ancients, known as "IceFrog", who continues to maintain his public anonymity, while leading a development team at Valve.[1] The game will be released through both retail and Steam, for Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.[1] Dota 2 marks Valve's first fantasy, as well as Action RTS game.
Much like the original Defense of the Ancients title, Dota 2 combines the real-time strategy element of traditional top-down perspective, while also incorporating the leveling and itemization system of a role playing game. Players assume the role of a unit categorized as a "hero", who through hostile interactions, may progress to a maximum level of 25. The basic setup of Dota 2 places two strongholds with "ancients" at opposing ends of an evenly-balanced map with multiple connecting regions identified as "lanes", in which enemy units primarily traverse, while also combating powerful defensive towers along the way. Players are split into two teams, ideally in a five-on-five format, to compete as the primary defenders for each ancient.
The overall objective of each match is to battle through the opposing force's defenses, in order to arrive at and destroy the opponents' ancient. The towers and stronghold defenses are invulnerable to attacks so long as the towers nearest the enemy side still stand. Periodically, groups of weaker infantry units commonly called "creeps" are spawned, which move along their lane until they reach an enemy unit or structure, which they will then attack.
Defeating enemy forces grants a distributed amount of currency of gold to the offending team, with the greater portion being retained by the player who made the final blow. Players also gain experience, which accumulates to gain higher levels. The greatest proportion of gold and experience comes from destroying higher priority forces, such as enemy heroes and towers.
Dota 2 will utilize Valve's Steam software in order to provide social and community functionality for the game. Steam accounts will save personal files and settings on the online accounts using the Steam Cloud. Dota 2 will also feature free-camera live spectating, in tradition of competitive Valve titles. The game host has the option to fill open slots with AI bots. Another option allows the host to determine if AI bots or other human players will be used to fill the vacated slot of a disconnected player. Valve is introducing a coaching system to allow for more experienced players to tutor newer players. The game will also feature tutorial sessions for further assisting players to mount the steep learning curve before competitive play.[1]
Dota 2 will remain completely based around instant action multiplayer activity, excluding a single-player campaign, but retaining a strong lore tied into the gameplay, including individual hero back-stories and vocal interactions in-game.[3]

There is a tourney that will happen august 17. 16 of the best DoTA teams are going to fight in DoTA 2, which also is the first appearance of the game.
The prize money is 1,000,000 dollars!!

More info here:

http://dota2.com/

Anybody else excited for this game? I really am, and can't wait to try it once it comes out.
Last edited by Lume; Nov 25, 2011 at 04:58 AM.
TP|Guardians| Hai. Watz upz.
99% sure there's a thread already, but can't seem to find it. If someone finds it, post the link in this thread and I'll close it.
<&Fish>: did you just infract the toribot?
<&Fish>: you're fired
<JSnuffMARS> sounds like a drug-addiction or mastu(I'll censor that word)
<bishopONE>: also yeah fisting
<mwah> Gynx is it true you got admin over hero because hes from pakistan
Pretty sure there isn't a thread seeing as the game was rumored to not even come out at one point not too long ago. Anyways, myself being a huge MOBA fan (play everyone one possible) I will obviously buy this.
Originally Posted by Lume View Post
Pretty sure there isn't a thread seeing as the game was rumored to not even come out at one point not too long ago. Anyways, myself being a huge MOBA fan (play everyone one possible) I will obviously buy this.

>buy

It's going to be free. confirmed by valve a while ago
I don't like that idea for f2p at all.

If they actually sold it for 60$ where you can get all the heroes, that would be much better.
Most games would sell heroes for like 10$ each irl money, so that sounds terrible. Not to mention all the other troller noobs that like to mess up the game for people who actually want to play it.
I'm a fan of dota.I'll surely get this.
Also I kind of agree , p2p would be a good idea.
im good at league
i barely ever check this forum anymore, to reach me go to my twitter
Originally Posted by Megadoomer View Post
>buy

It's going to be free. confirmed by valve a while ago

I heard that there would be an available purchase option for extra features, guess not though. If there is though then I'll definitely be paying for it. (even it has a 60$~ price)
I really hope it's not gonna be another league of legends copy, (aka buying heroes, skins, with real money and such)

that would really suck. I'm gonna be watching the tourney though, I was and still am really looking forward to looking at the game.