Ranking
Original Post
Texas School Kids Forced to Wear Tracking Chips
Students of Northside Independent School District in San Antonio have recently been forced to wear geolocator chips found in student ID cards as part of the "Student Location Project"
Failure to comply results in denial of entry to common areas such as the school library or cafeteria, and in some cases threats of fines, suspension, or expulsion from the school, and officials have noted that "there will be consequences for refusal to wear an ID card as we begin to move forward with full implementation."

The tracking chips have been brought forward in an effort to reduce student truancy. Lower truancy levels will result in more funding for the school, as attendance numbers factor in to how much government funding the school receives.

In another case, delinquent students of the Anaheim Union High School District are being forced to participate in another GPS tracking program:

Each school day, the delinquent students get an automated "wake-up" phone call reminding them that they need to get to school on time. In addition, five times a day they are required to enter a code that tracks their locations: as they leave for school, when they arrive at school, at lunchtime, when they leave school and at 8pm. These students are also assigned an adult "coach" who calls them at least three times a week to see how they are doing and help them find effective ways to make sure they get to school.

So, what do you think about this?
Are the schools justified in using mandatory tracking chips on their students?
Is it right to refuse students basic things such as the cafe or library simply because they're uncomfortable with wearing tracking chips at all times?
What are your opinions on the project?
Last edited by 4zb41; Oct 10, 2012 at 02:00 AM.
Well this story baffled me, because I thought it would be against the law to track and monitor kids outside of school. In a way it is sorta a way of invading your privacy.
If a school wants to deny the kids off their education and not let them into the library that is up to them, but to deny a kid his lunch if that is what it is stating then that is illegal due to the child safety laws.
I could see if the students only wore the chips at school and at home but I would never take it anywhere else with me, and having personal coaches is not a bad idea due to the fact that there are a lot of deliquent kids. It might actually help those kids get on the right path and focus on their education to help them succeed in life.
But over all it is a bullcrap thing to have to wear tracking devices to school.
A hasbeen like the rest
The people who thought this up should be fired.

Blatant constitutional violation. The school has absolutely no rights to have this kind of rule, as it infringes upon an individuals right of liberty. If they want to skip, let them skip, if they want to fail, let them fail. It is their right to do so. There are better ways of encouraging kids to follow the rules. If my kids were going to that school, I would sue the school for violating their constitutional rights, and I suggest that anyone who does go there/is a parent of a child that attends that school gets a lawyer and sues the school.
Hoss.
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post

Blatant constitutional violation. The school has absolutely no rights to have this kind of rule, as it infringes upon an individuals right of liberty. If they want to skip, let them skip, if they want to fail, let them fail. It is their right to do so. There are better ways of encouraging kids to follow the rules. If my kids were going to that school, I would sue the school for violating their constitutional rights, and I suggest that anyone who does go there/is a parent of a child that attends that school gets a lawyer and sues the school.

The problem is, it is illegal to not go to school at a certain age. And schools do have the rights to take aways some off the childs liberties if it was to benefit them. I know this is bullshit but there is not a lot a person can do unless the school denies a child of their needs not wants.
Last edited by dannyrug; Oct 10, 2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: typo
A hasbeen like the rest

I agree with this completely. Schools, especially high schools should be teaching kids how to get along by themselves, not be spoon-fed, watched on a daily basis and be forced to wear things they don't want to wear.

What will they do when they have responsibilities later in life? I assure you that no one will care about their well-being later and they are going to have to pick up pretty quickly how to make do on their own. Not to mention, College is going to prove a struggle for them. College has a lot of responsibilities, and with the way things are going to go with the tracking chips, these kids are going to rely on others to tell them what to do, not themselves.

Anyhow, this entire idea is fucked completely, and I hope whoever came up with this brilliant plan realizes that they are not helping, only hurting students. If they don't want to come to school, that's their problem, and the school district should NOT force things like this on kids, especially the ones who actually care, DO come to school and are successful.
Last edited by Faint; Oct 10, 2012 at 01:27 AM.

While I agree that the tracking device thing is absolutely wrong and is against our rights, I don't agree that we should let kids fail or not.

For example: in my school, if you miss an assignment, you must move to an isolated area with kids who have done something related/also missed their homework during lunch and work on the assignment that you missed.

This kind of punishment teaches the students to not miss their assignments. Many children don't appreciate an education until they are older, when the amount of education that they have received has already taken place when they are older. Children don't think of the consequences and how it affects their future, resulting in a shitty adulthood.

This is why I think that we shouldn't give students the right to avoid an education. Still, the tracking device thing is a privacy invader. Although it's good to make sure a kid is getting an education, a tracking device is a little overboard. Watching a kid 24/7 on the dot is really creepy and makes the students uncomfortable. Some might even be affected to think that this type of treatment is normal. There are alternatives, and being able to watch a student even when it's a weekend/holiday is not the way to go.

I suggest having more truancy officers patrolling the streets and checking places that are more populated by teens. For example, have them check the arcades (If people still really even go to those) and check the vicinity for adolescents. It's NOT THAT HARD. There are only so many places that a student can go. A fancy little GPS device isn't necessary.
Under the law, children in the United States are fully formed human beings with the same basic constitutional rights that adults enjoy. Like every other citizen, children have the right to due process under the law and the right to counsel. They're also protected against cruel and unusual punishment and unreasonable searches and seizures. However, the law also recognizes that children aren't physically and emotionally mature enough to handle the responsibility attached to legal activities like drinking, let alone the right to vote or run for public office. The law reconciles these two ideas by implementing ages of majority designed to define when a person has the ability to exercise his or her rights responsibly. These usually vary by state, but they govern everything from the right to drive to the right to marry.
There are some exceptions, however. In the juvenile justice system, for example, children don't receive bail, nor are they tried by juries of their peers. Juveniles do have the right to seek legal counsel if there's a chance that they could be tried as adults, as well as the right to a hearing before a judge. Children can also petition for legal emancipation from their parents, but they would face an uphill battle there: The Liberty Clause of the 14th Amendment gives parents the right to raise their own children, as long as there is no abuse or neglect.

Children DO have rights under the constitution. Institutions such as schools are stepping wayyyy out of bounds if they take them away. The school has absolutely no right to do something so ridiculous.

You are not forced to go to school, fyi, there are alternatives. What is mandatory is the education. You have to receive some degree of education.

It isn't an infringement of liberty, if you want, you can avoid it entirely, it is a privilege and a commitment offered to you should you choose to accept it. Having a tracking chip implanted in your ID, however, is a blatant infringement of your liberties. "I don't want to be tracked" is an infringement of liberty. "We won't let you get an education from our public institution if you don't let us track you" is a double infringement.
Hoss.
Children DO have rights under the constitution. Institutions such as schools are stepping wayyyy out of bounds if they take them away. The school has absolutely no right to do something so ridiculous.

You are not forced to go to school, fyi, there are alternatives. What is mandatory is the education. You have to receive some degree of education.

It isn't an infringement of liberty, if you want, you can avoid it entirely, it is a privilege and a commitment offered to you should you choose to accept it. Having a tracking chip implanted in your ID, however, is a blatant infringement of your liberties. "I don't want to be tracked" is an infringement of liberty. "We won't let you get an education from our public institution if you don't let us track you" is a double infringement.

Hence the word truancy, if you are not withdrawn by a parent or under the legal age of 18, you can be taken to court and each day cops will take you to school to assure that you go. Thats if you are not sick, or have other problems that need to be handled first.
Last edited by dannyrug; Oct 10, 2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: left out information
A hasbeen like the rest
Truancy officers can do jack shit about home-schooled kids.
Hoss.
Truancy officers can do jack shit about home-schooled kids.

that is why I said withdrawn meaning a parent withdrawn them from a school in order to homeschool.
A hasbeen like the rest