Ranking
Original Post
[Art] Penguins concept art
Concept art for the new 3d animation I'm working on.

Spent like 15-45 minutes on each one on a 15 inch screen. Didn't quite get as good and refined as I was hoping for, but I couldn't really see the small things on that tiny screen. I am probably going to repaint them a little now that I'm on my trusty old 24" screen with perfect colors.

O - M - F - G
They are awesome!
Can you tell me how you do such a soft shading?
btw, with the tags:
9,7/10
First three are definitely the best.
I'm happy to see you trying something new color-wise.
Fr3styL . Improving by Improvising
I'm an artist.
Oh this is not even close to the finished result :P waiting for my friend to send them to me from his comp.
Last edited by Ezeth; Oct 21, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Ezeth, check my thread in here.
You can see the level I'm at right meow (still rusty..).
If you're still willing to co-op that is.

I really like cookies and I once saw a whale.
Fr3styL . Improving by Improvising
I'm an artist.
yeah maybe soon I will contact you if I get the time and will to do so.

Final drawings:

Originally Posted by Pheyli View Post
O - M - F - G
They are awesome!
Can you tell me how you do such a soft shading?
btw, with the tags:
9,7/10

Use less contrasts, pick the right size of brush, paint with lower opacity and make the transitions between the colors as smooth as possible. Ofc having a tablet helps a little but its not really mission critical.
I usually make everything medium gray and work my way darker and lighter from there. for coloring a multiply layer is nice to have. Also dodge and burn comes in handy for the finishing touch. One really important step is to have a ton of patience and never rush anything (unless you don't have the time ofc)

Before you start shading and coloring its important to know where your light is coming from, and what source of light it is. Then when you are drawing you just go, hey since this part is closer to the light source it should be brighter, ok this part isn't directly hit by light and should have shadows on it, once you get this into your head everything starts to make sense and becomes a lot easier.
Last edited by Ezeth; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:45 PM.