Toribash
Original Post
Back In Time
I was thinking about time travel and I was so confused on how going BACK in time and changing something would work. If somebody was to travel back in time and lets say this was a huge event which was broadcasted. So, if that person went back in time and lets say they stopped WWI, would we feel time going back or would we have already been living as if WWI never existed?

People say changing the past can lead to a different future but how would we notice it? Wouldn't we already be living in the 'new' future? So how would we notice this. I personally think its a question with multiple possible answers but what do you guys think?

If the past was to be changed, would we see the change or would we already be living in the changed future?
blue
pink
So if somebody was to go back in time they create another timeline in which they can alter the past without changing the current timeline? So does this mean there is more than one of us? There is us here then there is us in another timeline?
blue
pink
It's all hypothetical, but it would solve the paradox you proposed.
An alternative would be that if one goes back in time it's already in the past, so it already happened and is in effect. Nothing would change. Going back in the past and changing the future drastically would be physically impossible.
The problem with that is that it requires a strict deterministic universe, and many people don't like that idea because it contradicts free will.
Determinism is the idea that every single event has very specific conditions, meaning that the universe in its current state has to be as it is for any events in the future to happen. The universe as it is is the condition for strictly logical events in the future to happen etc.
That means that everything is already written in stone and nothing can be changed at all ever.
How are you?
I don't think that time is a tangible substance and therefore cannot be traveled through. Even the slightest alteration to a spec of dust in the past can potentially lead to a drastic change in the future making it nearly impossible. At least the theory of the spacetime continuum states something similar to this. Bending space isn't possible making time travel utterly implausible and therefore doubtful that there are multiple versions of us in different dimensions. I don't think humans were meant to comprehend the relationship between space and time either. We can't quite wrap our minds around it and that's were answers to life and such will come from.
Buy me food and tell me I'm cute.
I thought you could never go back in time because you would have to go faster than the speed of light and that requires an infinite amount of energy.

However there are a few ways that you can age slower than people (go forward in time) by traveling super fast. (on a the international space station traveling at 7.7km/s you come back to earth .007s younger than someone who stayed on earth in a 6 month period. obviously the closer to the speed of light you get the less passing of time you experience compared to a stationary observer)
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
I don't think that time is a tangible substance and therefore cannot be traveled through. Even the slightest alteration to a spec of dust in the past can potentially lead to a drastic change in the future making it nearly impossible.

You just contradicted yourself by saying its impossible to travel through time then go on to say it going back to the past and moving a small particle will drastically change the future.. uwotm8?

But yeah, I love the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment too about different paradoxes and such, which brings a lot of possibilities to the table. Travelling between them? I like the idea, but I highly doubt it. How would you even control it? Walk backwards? xD
I believe it will be controlled by a massive chamber.
But , the first step we need to time travel is atomic transportation? So i guess we will invent Teleporter first rather than Time Traveler.
-----
Originally Posted by Kradel View Post
So, if that person went back in time and lets say they stopped WWI, would we feel time going back or would we have already been living as if WWI never

World will be different .
What if ww 2 never existed , hitler have the opportunity to develop more V2 rocket and launch a war in 1950? This world will be cruel , diffrent world as we know now.
What if , in the ww2 in 1950, steve job grandpa was killed ? Mac would never existed (pretty good i guess)
Or, what if vietnam, japan , allied with nazi? I dont think it will be a good thing.
Last edited by Trocher3; Feb 26, 2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
:D
Originally Posted by 13chillz View Post
I thought you could never go back in time because you would have to go faster than the speed of light and that requires an infinite amount of energy.

However there are a few ways that you can age slower than people (go forward in time) by traveling super fast. (on a the international space station traveling at 7.7km/s you come back to earth .007s younger than someone who stayed on earth in a 6 month period. obviously the closer to the speed of light you get the less passing of time you experience compared to a stationary observer)

The theory of relativity is limited to our universe. If there are several timelines and so forth it might be possible to travel through time not by manipulating our own universe but by manipulating the greater object that is made of many universes.
-----
Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
I don't think that time is a tangible substance.

…but it is.
We can manipulate time. We can only do it in very limited ways that don't have effects in our everyday lives, but it's fact that time is a physical quantity that can be manipulated through things such as speed, gravity, and stuff like that.

Last edited by Redundant; Feb 26, 2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
How are you?
Originally Posted by 13chillz View Post

There was actually a scientific experiment performed a few years back where they passed light threw a special gas substance that was altered in a way I cannot remember. Regardless: light within this specific chamber was actually moving faster than it does in a Vacuum (aka: space).

The result was that the light left the chamber before it even entered it. This is in essence "time travel"
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!