Ranking
View Poll Results: What is your opinion about ChibiBASH?
I would really like to play this game!
121 Votes / 84.03%
I would try it, but not really sure about the concept...
13 Votes / 9.03%
Sounds like a good idea but it's not my thing, sorry.
4 Votes / 2.78%
No! >:[
6 Votes / 4.17%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll
View Poll Results

Original Post
Project ChibiBash

Hello fellow Toribashians, stuff that will be shown in this thread is a possible future project of a TB forum web-game and/or I-Pad, Android franchise...
It is a work of love I've been doing for some time whenever I had some free hours to brainstorm, draw and design...
It is called:

What is ChibiBash? Well, most of you probably know the game called MiniBash. At some point I was involved doing the 'artsy' stuff for that game.
All the time we were working on MiniBash, we (read: I) struggle to find some recognizable design for that game,
but the limitations of the coding part didn't really help.
There were already pre-made dolls of the fighters and game mechanic was copying
the fighting feel of the turn based style of Toribash.
I really disliked that.

Ironically, when I left the developing team and some time after that picture of the
game started to form in my mind.
Little fighters with large heads and puny bodies made out of the cardboard?
Lighting fast real-time 2D fighting with physics? Simple 4 button controls: run,
jump, hit and block? Customizing your little fighters?

Everything 'clicked' one night while I was taking a shower

And, so, PROJECT CHIBIBASH stared.

Now, I will share some ideas and concept designs about this game. I would like from you to take some time
to look and read carefully this presentation and then cast your vote in the poll above.

GAME MECHANICS

ChibiBash is a multiplayer game where 2 players engage in a real-time fight with their custom made fighters. For this you use only 4 controls: run(dash), jump,
punch/kick and block.
You can also combine these controls to execute more advanced moves.
For instance, dashing toward the wall will propel you in the opposite direction
with the double speed of your run. If you jump two times, you will execute
double jump, maybe even hitting the ceiling bouncing downward under angle . Every contact with the wall is giving you momentum and speed,
so the fights are basically like pinball tilts mixed with extreme button-mashing.
Now, imagine that with the Box2D physics (like in Minibash, but in real time, without piss-pause for setting the next move).
Timing of the kicks/punches and blocks is crucial and you can easily lost your head (literally).

Here is the example of Box2D physics used in game-making software called Construct 2.

CONCEPT DESIGNS WITH EXPLANATIONS

In the spoiler below is the mock up look of the game UI. That is the start of the fight between TORI and UKE (both controlled by different players).
As you can see UI is very clear. Above you have the name, head and score of the fighters, some hints and the timer.
Every fight has 2 rounds. Three if one of the rounds ends with a draw.
Every fight last 1 min and 45 seconds.

Screen01

Game will have sounds, but also there will be comic onomatopoeia texts every time player manage to hit his opponent.
You get the score depending of the force, speed and the part of the body you hit.
When you tap your punch/kick button all extremities on your fighter will make a 360 turn around the pivots that are connected to the fighters body.
If your opponent failed to hold block and one of your legs or arms touch him you will score points.
I think you can imagine the fights like a cat-fight of some sort. :>

Screen02

Too much strong hits on your head and it will lose the connection with the body. Then this happens:

Screen03

And the round is over. You can insta-lose if opponent decaps you, or you can lose when the timer gets to zero and you end the round with smaller amount of points.
Winner takes it all, meaning: he will get the TC and QI, which depends of his score. Also, for the first win of the day you get a little more than normal. ;}

Screen04

TRAINING

You probably noticed the little belts on the fighters, they are optional visual customization, but they also show your progress in the game.
Leveling up will open new customization options for you. You will see new items in the game-shop, and you will also be able to replace parts of your body with custom ones.
Training is a 'old-faithful' grind option to get some TC and QI. Amount is small and limited though. Very limited.
For 30 sec of good boxing bag bashing you can score points that can be transferred to 1 to 3 TC or QI.
You get in the training dojo and try to hit the center of the boxing bag as much as you can, but physics are involved and bag is swinging with every hit
you make so it is not that simple.
There is also another training option call DESTRUCTION MODE.
Room is filled with wooden crates or dummies and you must brake all of them as fast as you can. But I didn't make a screeny of that just yet...

Screen05

CUSTOMIZATION and IN-GAME SHOP

So, where can you spend all that hard earned cash? Answer is: in BEAUTY PARLOR. :> (or PARLOUR, like I misspelled :S)
This is were you can change the default TORI/UKE look of your fighter.
As you progress more items will be unlocked and available in the shop.
You will be able to change your head, body and arms, and apply on them some accessories.
Apart of pre-made stuff, shop also have items made by other players! Just download the template, use your artsy skillz of vector-based graphics, upload your design, set a price and wait for some sucker to buy it.

Screen06

And when you manage to unlock the Master Belt, you can even buy or make/upload/sell the full sets made by other people or by developer's official artists!

Screen07

CLOSING WORDS

This is still in concepts only, game is on the 'paper sketch' phase right now.
For this to became the real thing I would need to find a good programmer, preferably in Construct 2.
Or, Hampa can step in. :}
I'm really making a cry for help in the dark cave, hoping that someone (or something) will answer.
But, for now, just vote on the poll. Who knows, sometime dreams became reality. :>

In any case thank you for the time.

GAME FEATURES

- 2D multiplayer with realistic physics
- Bunch of arenas with different watercolor images and gravity/friction settings
-customization and open market
- rounds are quick and fast-paced, not taking too much time
- easy to jump in and fight, simple controls
- cute design 
- bunch of training rooms and mini-games

Last edited by 8OJ4N; Mar 7, 2014 at 09:58 PM.
Brother!
I Loved it!
Love love..
Uaaau.

I think that you have that continue it. Seryouls!
I will love put it in my android. :33
I really love the design. The customization shop sounds like a great idea.
Cat suit. pls.
~
video needed more pigs.
Internet will be a problem with such a game as it depends on minimum ping.
I like the simplistic idea of it! Maybe a modifier for low/high punch/kick? Anyway, the idea sounds solid!
Your messed up world enthrills me
[insert grin here]

Not entirely sold on the HTML5 bit, and online MP could cause problems. But as a concept it's pretty solid. Give it a go, knock up a prototype & see how it goes.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
I don't like the idea of tiny limbs in a game about using them to fight...
shmevin eats smegma
Originally Posted by boStaff View Post
I don't like the idea of tiny limbs in a game about using them to fight...

Why? There's a load of SD fighters with giant bobble heads & tiny limbs, and they don't suck.

Gotta keep in mind that the images are only mockups, it's rare things don't get changed several times through dev from the initial concept & if the limbs need reworking then they'd end up reworked.

It's more about the idea at the moment than being picky about the little things - those are for later on down the line.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
We need this for a game.
Pls make this a real game pl0x.
funny blue smiling person
please to be enjoying lowkido
let's bring minibash back!