Ranking
Original Post
genuinely curious on how ppl feel about trying to attract new players at this stage
genuinely curious on how ppl feel about trying to attract new players at this stage

if u don't want new players finding this game, why? would u feel the same if the game was more beginner friendly? (whatever beginner friendly could mean) (i got some ideas but u all would brand me some heretic if i spit it out..)

if u do want new players, do u think there's any chance at all this game could have a resurgence? what do u think could cause it?

round 1 was kids googling "ragdoll game"
round 2 was markiplier and nerd cubed making tb videos
do u guys see any possible round 3? any time i ask new players how they found this game it's always "my friend told me about it" or "i watched TheBananaGamer's video 'Top 10 Indie Games You Can Play For FREE in 2018!' and downloaded it"

btw when's the last time any of u people talked to a new player
I've seen people come and go recently, I think the retention has always been low but it's even more apparent now with the lower volume of people coming in. Wouldn't say I necessarily want the game to die, but it has had an extremely good run, so I don't mind either way. It seems unlikely that we'll see some sort of 2014 surge happening again since toribash requires quite the attention span and doesn't really have any form of instant gratification apart from maybe making the tori do funny stuff and fall over, which isn't entertaining for the hundreds of hours it takes to get decent at the game. Would love to be proven wrong and see new stuff happen with the game, who knows maybe toribash next will do well as it's more suited to casual play with 4 players and guns and whatnot
Glimpsed
no, i don't want the game to die

no, i don't think creating a new version to improve faults with the historic (and "archaic") build of the game will garner a new wave of players as significantly as it did back in 2012-2014

no, i don't think supplying the current audience with new useless customization options is what keeps them around

the game is, was, and has always been an "accessibility" hurdle because of its incredibly specialized control scheme. the progression of time has moved, and though the uniqueness of this game is still pretty much unrivaled, it is also not interesting anymore. nobody wants to feel the challenge of learning the controls or trying to master the art of movement and combat in this fashion.
it's a part of history; nothing more than something to spectate and observe. if you grew up with this game and learned how to play it, then you're pretty much all there is left. there are no more updates to the core game being pushed, nothing for a brand new audience to take interest in. no secrets, no story, no limits to push, no restrictions to break.

it's a good game. it's a gone game!
funny blue smiling person
please to be enjoying lowkido
let's bring minibash back!
Originally Posted by unbandemon View Post

if u don't want new players finding this game, why? would u feel the same if the game was more beginner friendly? (whatever beginner friendly could mean) (i got some ideas but u all would brand me some heretic if i spit it out..)

if u do want new players, do u think there's any chance at all this game could have a resurgence? what do u think could cause it?

round 1 was kids googling "ragdoll game"
round 2 was markiplier and nerd cubed making tb videos
do u guys see any possible round 3? any time i ask new players how they found this game it's always "my friend told me about it" or "i watched TheBananaGamer's video 'Top 10 Indie Games You Can Play For FREE in 2018!' and downloaded it"

btw when's the last time any of u people talked to a new player

Yes of course I want new players to find this game. I know Toribash Next is a bit of a joke at this point but I do believe that when it comes out there will be a resurgence. The Toribash TikTok account is pulling pretty good numbers and that audience hasn't even seen Toribash Next yet. I think once TBN comes out Matarika will flip the TBN content switch and usher people in that direction. Based solely off the TBN user interface and the big buttons and sliders, I think TBN will also launch on mobile which many people are asking for. Assuming the tutorial section has an overhaul and there are plenty of official servers with fun and accessible mods I think it could take off again.

Also, I talk to new players all the time in Quick Aikido. I speak to them respectfully and compliment them when they do well. That's my contribution to keeping this game alive.

Originally Posted by avenue View Post
no, i don't want the game to die

no, i don't think creating a new version to improve faults with the historic (and "archaic") build of the game will garner a new wave of players as significantly as it did back in 2012-2014

no, i don't think supplying the current audience with new useless customization options is what keeps them around

the game is, was, and has always been an "accessibility" hurdle because of its incredibly specialized control scheme. the progression of time has moved, and though the uniqueness of this game is still pretty much unrivaled, it is also not interesting anymore. nobody wants to feel the challenge of learning the controls or trying to master the art of movement and combat in this fashion.
it's a part of history; nothing more than something to spectate and observe. if you grew up with this game and learned how to play it, then you're pretty much all there is left. there are no more updates to the core game being pushed, nothing for a brand new audience to take interest in. no secrets, no story, no limits to push, no restrictions to break.

it's a good game. it's a gone game!

Pretty jaded take. To be fair it's difficult to be hopeful with so little clarity around the future of the game.
Last edited by Corey; Jan 30, 2023 at 10:02 PM.
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Also, I talk to new players all the time in Quick Aikido. I speak to them respectfully and compliment them when they do well. That's my contribution to keeping this game alive.

^^^^
I don't want this game or community to die.

[Evil] is recruiting!

<DesiTwist> terty plays tb with the ghost turned off, uke turned off and uses that mouse with the ball in it
as long as im alive it wont

#skizz2024
#MAKETORIBASHGREATAGAIN
skizz loses to new players on purpose so they get more dopamine and have a better toribash experience
shelby#8266
listen to my music! | commission me!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
#freeskizzify
no one wants this game to die
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDD