Toribash
Original Post
How do those DM's work
Can anyone with a little experience explain to me how those DM's work in aikido, I want to be able to make a DM mid game. So I kick, knee, punch, headbut but all I get are fracs or nothing.

Anyone able to help me?

The attacks that I do have momentum and power and they hit the joints directly, most of the time.
Last edited by Headles; Jun 6, 2015 at 12:04 AM.
Well, you usually want to aim for the armpit, pecs, neck, glutes, or hips. When aiming for the torso it's a bit more tricky, as you're likely to get a DM upon striking the upper portion of joints.

It's mostly momentum and strength involved; and the angle you're striking the joints. The very bottom or upper portion is more likely to Dismember, while direct hits will require more force. That's how I see it.

When kicking, make sure to either Extend the foot or relax it.
When Snapkicking, I'd generally contract the foot as it'll bring the arm upward moreso then hitting an armpit with an extended ankle.
Using knees, make sure you have lots of momentum into it. Take the time to set up (2-3 turns if we're talking Aikido) before pulling yourself in the strike.
When punching, holding the wrist allows for the hand to be straight forward, which helps greatly. Moving your body in motion to the punch is also good. Punches aren't really advised.
When Headbutting, the general what-to-do would be to Lower arms, extend pecs and neck, contract elbows. Usually throws you into them the most effectively.

That's how I go about dismembering. Correct me if I'm wrong.
|[TA]|[MLO]|Team Pokemon|
Fear sucks eggs
RETRO ALSO LIKES MEN -bands
To put it as basic as I can.

Hydra gives a good explanation to how to DM on moves/openers.

To DM after the opener, first get some distance through extending everything. It will get you more lifted if you're being lift, pushed away if you're both on ground etc.

When you have put some distance, contract your wrists and elbows, raise/lower shoulders and extend/contract pecs. Turn the chest to help get some rotation to get a kick/knee in. Aim for joints.

Also, practice it.
Owner of Fred
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IF you want dm's One thing you can do is keep track of speed meter to put it on do /sm 1. Things will dm around 20+ Speed. Also, aim is keep make sure you have good placement on a kick.

You gotta realize DM threshold is high in aikido. Most DM's I see are knee to pec / shoulder mid - game. It's quite rare anything else, besided maybe grab, works.

Why your so called knee doesn't DM. Cause either it's a not-perfect knee OR you just throw it in time and position where it won't work. It's simple.
Okay so I read all this, used it a bit. Got couple more dm, some with punches some with kicks, one decap with a knee.

Im still having full direct hits without a DM or a frac.
and also having trouble aiming sometimes.

Also I know its hard and I know that its even harder in aikido but it should be able to be done on a good succes rate I think.
Originally Posted by Headles View Post
Okay so I read all this, used it a bit. Got couple more dm, some with punches some with kicks, one decap with a knee.

Im still having full direct hits without a DM or a frac.
and also having trouble aiming sometimes.

Also I know its hard and I know that its even harder in aikido but it should be able to be done on a good succes rate I think.

As stated. DM threshold is high, and sometimes you have to bite the dust.
Owner of Fred
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Like I said I know that, Dm's are hard to get in aikido. But there has to be some kind of tactic to make them more common, because it cant be just cheer luck can it?
I'll go ahead and say practice. Every player has a different way to handle every position. Find out what kind of arm movement works for you etc.
Owner of Fred
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I guess that is the answer, would be nice if there was an actuall guide or something like that though