Toribash
Original Post
Rule Change in Private/Public Rooms
Hi,

We’ve recently updated the rules regarding private space and public space. I’m writing this semi-brief note to send the message along. Below will be a few points on why we made the change, what was actually changed, and finally, how it affects everyone going forward. You can find the rules in the FAQ.

Why

With the implementation of in-game reports, private v. public rooms were always a hot topic when looking at the reports. Tori-Agents look through game chat logs and replays to come to their verdict(s). “Was this a private room?” “What can we do about it?” were frequently asked questions among the team. The staff team discussed this and came to the conclusion to amend the rules. We felt that, through means of technicalities, “allowing” members to break rules because they’re in their own custom server, isn’t right. We’re not trying to shaft people from having fun, rather, keeping everything fun and friendly for everyone. If something is reported, in-game reports, or our traditional methods of sending a screenshot in, we deal with it.

What

For everyone, these guidelines should be common sense behavior, typical to everyday interactions with real people. Here’s the new rules paired by the old rules. Please take the time to read.

Originally Posted by New

- Harassment

Harassing (by insulting, name-calling, slurs, bandwagoning, flaming, trolling, and so on) other members of the game for any reason is not allowed. We wish to maintain a friendly environment, and any flaming or harassment may result in a ban. This includes any homophobic or racial slurs in any public space in the community

"Public space" is defined as:
Game - Any room that is not protected by a password.
Forum - The entire forum with the exception of Wibbles and clan PRIVATE boards.
If it's brought to moderator's attention and found that your language disrupts the integrity of the environment we're setting; warnings, infractions, or bans will take place. Try to solve issues yourself if you can. We can't possibly be there for every single instance. Asking to politely stop is a start.

Originally Posted by Old
Harassing (by insulting, name-calling, slurs, bandwagoning, flaming, trolling, and so on) other members of the game for any reason is not allowed. We wish to maintain a friendly environment, and any flaming or harassment may result in a ban. This includes any homophobic or racial slurs in any public space in the community - for more information read here.

And if you follow the link in the Old rules, this part, I'll put that in a spoiler

Addition

Going Forward

This isn’t to get rid of private rooms, you’re free to have your fun. Just be mindful of the others joining in. We strive to keep all platforms of Toribash a fun and friendly environment to want to be in. If you see behavior that clearly breaks the rules, report it. After that, ignore them using the ignore feature ingame. If you have feedback, you’re free to post, we’d love to hear it with the intentions of trying to improve.
Last edited by ed; Jan 21, 2020 at 08:36 AM. Reason: clarity

بسم الله الرحمان الرحيم

Originally Posted by CoKe View Post
It's always been the community's job to manage the general conduct or culture

yeah lets leave it to hipotibor to manage the general conduct

Furthermore, a space where people can grow is important, there are countless amount of people that play this game that have matured over time and with the guidance of this eco-system. Take away that freedom and new players lose the ability to grow.

one of the dumbest things ive read
what guidance are you even talking about
how does not being retarded deny you from growing as a person

Now please continue the REEEEE.

youre the one doing that

i swear to god you guys are always on some bullshit
The irony is that I've, as far as I remember, had only lovely experiences in game with the people (whom I've met) posting their criticisms here. If other people have, sure that sucks, but personally I enjoy very much chatting with the vast majority in this thread that I've encountered in game, and I have never personally heard/seen/felt them be toxic.

So I think that the argument that we are fighting to harass people is a low-energy knee-jerk response. We're not fighting to be assholes, and generalizing us into that is a lazy tactic. There are good arguments for anti-harassment rules, harassment bad - no shit - but I think it's better to have a nuanced understanding of the difference between humour and toxicity. If overly-general rules are applied to target the toxic, I fear it will affect non-toxic players too.

I hate hearing the N word, I discourage it around me. That's just something that I find particularly gross. But kids love saying the N word. I can't stop them, but I can discourage it in my circle, among my friends, among my clan, in discord, in my private servers. If I enter a room where people are saying words I don't like, I can leave. If someone enters my room saying words I don't like, there are a number of measure that can be taken. If someone in my clan is harassing someone else, the clan can vote to remove that person, or the leaders can take unilateral action (though in fl0w it would be the prior).

Imo Toribash is also much, much less toxic now ("now" as in the past couple years, not any more or less since the rule changes), than when I first started playing, before this acct. Maybe that's because the community is a bit smaller? I don't know.
Originally Posted by basic View Post
how does not being retarded deny you from growing as a person

Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
that doesnt even make sense lmfao u dont need to be shat on for no reason by internet strangers in a game to grow as a person/community member but go off

The hypocrisy in these posts are rife.

Arctic, you literally have "Professional Healslut" as your title - how in the hell can you try take the moral high ground on this while you publicly parade what has been known to be 'offensive speech' terms. Furthermore, our position on this is literally why an edgy title like that has been acceptable.

For the sensible among us: @DrGonz response

▂▃▄▅▆▇█▓▒░ eVo ░▒▓█▇▆▅▄▃▂

freedom of speech allows you to say whatever you want, but it also allows me to say that your opinions are complete shit and it also allows people not to like you because you're an asshole. Im p sure the community has been working like that for a while and its functioned p well without people being r*tards in public servers.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Originally Posted by lily View Post
freedom of speech allows you to say whatever you want, but it also allows me to say that your opinions are complete shit and it also allows people not to like you because you're an asshole. Im p sure the community has been working like that for a while and its functioned p well without people being r*tards in public servers.

I... I mean... did you just change your mind? Cos it sounds like you agree with us now?... I .... uh... k... cool... I think?
Originally Posted by lily View Post

This post was entirely sponsored by freedom. ^ Ya' welcome.

▂▃▄▅▆▇█▓▒░ eVo ░▒▓█▇▆▅▄▃▂

Originally Posted by DrGonz View Post
I... I mean... did you just change your mind? Cos it sounds like you agree with us now?... I .... uh... k... cool... I think?

i mean no, i still think youre a dumbass but thats personal opinion, it seems like you and people like stone just wanna call people f*gs in public servers
[sigpic][/sigpic]
Arctic, you literally have "Professional Healslut" as your title - how in the hell can you try take the moral high ground on this while you publicly parade what has been known to be 'offensive speech' terms. Furthermore, our position on this is literally why an edgy title like that has been acceptable.

For the sensible among us: @DrGonz response

really

suo gave me that usertitle after i resigned from smod bc i asked him. its a joke, it refers to overwatch healsluts, an actual ow community that calls themselves that. obviously, that has everything to do with this thread: ed explicitly said that they are banning a particular list of words, including slut, fuck, bitch, poopie (Sarcasm!!)

u dont really seem to get whats actually being "changed" here, theres just no way
-----
there was no hypocrisy in my previous post but OKAY!!
Last edited by Arctic; Jan 20, 2020 at 07:35 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
That was really bad sorry.
Someone tell me why this guy is highly respected by some people ???