Toribash
I have always had a fascination with calligraphy. The fact that it is the art of writing itself has always intrigued so when I started thinking about what my style of texturing would be, the first thing I thought of was this ancient art.

Description of my Style:

-Monochromatic, or at least with a minimalist approach to colours.
-Long, smooth, freehand strokes.
-Not humanistic, robotic or anything really identifiable. If anything I would describe it as being abstract.

Technique of my style:

After looking through GIMP I quickly came across the calligraphic brush. I'm also lucky enough to be in the ownership of a tablet laptop. So using the calligraphic brush in conjunction with the Paintbrush Tool and pressure sensitivity I can get realistic brush strokes.

Start with a black background with white over the top as this will allow colours to be added and/or changed later on. I start by making a tribal-like shape in the centre, I don't worry if this isn't perfect as it is merely a starting point. This shape will function as the main feature of the texture, as well as the shape that will influence the overall texture. I then create shapes either side of the main that are complimentary without being overbearing.

I should note as this point that I do not make random shapes. It isn't a matter of just hoping that something will work, try to think whether you want to use triangles, squares, circles etc. This is a very shape orientated style so the shape you decide to use is critical.

Once I have the 3 shapes that will dictate the rest of the design, I decide the colours that I am going to use. This will mostly be monochromatic as I have found that this looks best and I like the contrast, but if you choose good colours it can still look nice. I find that if you are going to use colours then it is best to use a black background and have your colour on top of that.

Once this is done I start using the airbrush tool to create shading. This is especially important if you have chosen to use colours. I find that it creates a nice effect if you make your chosen colour seem to 'shine'.

Once this is done it I make small shapes that are similar to the main three shapes. I make sure not use too many of these as I don't want them to take focus from the main shapes. I also don't add the 'shine' effect with the airbrush as it makes it far to messy and cluttered.

What makes my style different:

Well I have never seen a head made using calligraphy as a big influence of the style. As well as that, the fact that is not robotic or humanoid itself means that is a lot different to most other styles.

The name of my style:

I really suck at naming stuff so I used the first words that popped into my head when trying to work out my own style. For this reason I have chosen to name my style 'Egalitarian Calligraphy'.

1.0 Personal Touch -

I'd guess my current personal style used within texturing can be generally described as hand-drawn (example as my set). I find my interpretation in this style is unique to an extent, as the method I use is pretty weird. The main factors that expresses this style as it is, is the fact that the shading is created with "jagged" transitions, I find this creates an pretty nice effect of probably over-exaggeration in the fields of hand drawn style. The degree of contrast isn't really high, as I just don't really fancy very high contrasted areas (with exceptions). I guess all that really sums up my personal style, also on a side note, I'm not really keen on my style.

2.0 Preference -

The styles I particularly like is probably the sharp, simple, and detailed textures. I also really go "Wow." at those realistic textures, but I really don't like to get way into the contents/parts/details; so just simple and realistic would be a very nice preference for me. Also, I could probably enhance the simplistic realism using my techniques from hand-drawn to a degree.

3.0 Ability -

I can say, my current level of texturing is probably along the lines of middle standard, possibly slightly going above the line. I could probably have a large improvement in texturing with the correct techniques learnt and the spark of imagination.

4.0 Style Development -

After giving a thought upon my personal touches and tastes, I am deciding that my own little unique style of texturing would probably be of what I said. The foundation of the style would consist of the style of realism (similar Monobi's), I will enhance this with simplicity, cartoon-style techniques, and from what I have learnt from the past; of course, the style isn't completely concluded upon, and will probably develop as I go. How is this different? What I have done here, is using many of the different styles conducted in the community, and merged them together to create one .

5.0 Method of Creation -

The creation will start out amongst stock images. I will find an image appropriate, or even possibly something completely different from the subject, through filter and transforming, would fit into what the texture's result would be. I may as well use new stock photos to develop and create different parts, but of course, will need to make it blend into the style. Using the pen tool, I will then create effects/parts to intensify the texture. I will use the brush to include shading (only to the slightest degree) to further enhance the image.

6.0 The Name -

For the name of the style, I think I'll call it integrate. Why? Because integrates means, blend and combine together, which is exactly what I'm doing, merging together different styles to create one.
[Ele] Leader | [Bleu] Supervisor | Artists' Co-op
Hope you don't mind if I used your style of application white.

Description of my style.
My style is just mainly anime. (cartoonish or what ever) The reason I chose this style is so that a new type of texturing should be bought into toribash. I am sick of seeing 10000 emo heads everywhere I go. I also chose this style because of Mantrian, sure he might not have been the most recognized person to my knowledge, but in the end he did a damn good job of making art, so I guess I took up my style was so that I could show everyone the unique ways of Mantrains style.

Technique of my style.
The technique that I use is mainly airbrush. This tool is a absolute life saver to me since it can do shading as well as colouring. I try to make my style look somewhat real life based but seem also like a cartoon.

What makes my style different.
Well mainly everything is difficult for me since I'm only a beginner but lets get more in depth shall we. Shading is a absolute nightmare for me for since this brings out the life in the texture, everything requires shading whether it be eyes, teeth, cheeks and so on.

The name of my style.
I don't really know how to give mine a specific name so I will go with something plain and simple, MTS (Mcburgers Texture Style)

Last edited by McBurger; Mar 19, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
Basic Idea:
I've always been interested in shading. It's one of my weaknesses but also one of my favourite things to do. Inspired by AHD. It has always been said, but I also hate the fact that there are alot of Emo/Headphone head textures. That being said, I can't say that I don't enjoy the vectorising effect. It's simple and I like the way it looks.

Tools of the Trade:
For shading, I almost always draw a line, clean it, burn it, and then blur it. It's not very versatile, but it gets the job done for a beginner like me. As for vectorising, I use the pentool.

Unique?
No, not really. It's only the beginning, and I'm sure I'll eventually branch out to my own style and preference. And definitely no name as of yet.
Finally I got my style.

Description:

My style is a very tight fitting one that revolves around shapes being put on a canvas with highlights or "Strokes" flowing around the shapes. Generally white ones do the trick. Design is really a huge essential when doing this style, as well as lighting and effects. A dark or light colour as a background is basically what is needed for my style, not any where inbetween, either very light (white, pale blue/pink/yellow etc.) or a dark colour (preferably greyscaled).

How to make it:

Firstly, as I said, you need either a dark or light colour for the background, otherwise it's hard to make highlights within the texture. So I use the pen tool and draw out some arty, or better yet, abstract shapes. Pointy shapes aren't as good but bloby shapes aren't good either. A nuetral colour that is slightly on the light side is usually what I use. After I have done my first shape, I attempt to give my texture depth from alternate techniques that will differ from what texture is being made.
After that, strokes need to be added to give the whole thing some flow and highlights. I use the pen tool with a 3px brush (it may differ with different cavas proportions) and use a stroke path.This is where my own design sense comes in, I need to make the strokes go around the shapes, a bit away from them but in the same flow of the edges.
If done correctly, it will give a great effect that both gives the texture highlights and flow. Don't forget to include eyes and/or other facial features. Sometimes (most of the time) I add metal or a stock image to the shapes and give it an overlay with an appropriate opacity so that I can combine some realism into the texture. And of course, I work in layers so that editing is a breeze.

What makes it different:

My style is somewhat similar to "Pop", I will use realistic techniques in most of my work to assure maximum use of the head I work on, I don't see many people combining realism and Pop. My style of this "Pop" also revolves more around what really flows and the effects that can be expressed/shown.

I don't really know what to call it. Maybe Flow.
But yeah.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
i wub u lSl :D
[vibe] [ORMO] [GATA]

Description: this style is a somewhat combination of cartoon and tribal. using tribal details on a cartoon texture. It does not have any specific colors or shapes (other than tribal shapes) that are needed. It is a combination of the concepts of tribal and cartoon and their descriptions. Basic and clean shapes on the cartoon side, with "cool" tribal details sprinkled around the texture.

How to do it: It requires a LOT of pen tooling to make tribal shapes. They are not the regular tribal shapes used on textures, but the tribals you see people draw. Meaning, before each intersection there is a gap/break where there is nothing. Somewhat like these > http://www.how-to-draw-funny-cartoon...l-flames-4.jpg <. You make many shades by *vectoring*, not with gradients. Using cartoon, you can branch off into many other styles, such as a cartoon robot, cartoon emo, etc. So it is a very loose style that can be interpreted different ways.

What makes it special: It is a combination of 2 almost completely different styles; cartoon and tribal. There are very few boundaries to this style so it can be spread out more and still be considered the same style.

Name: Considering it is a mixture of the styles tribal and cartoon, I shall name it tribus currus which is latin for tribal cartoon
GIMP IS A PIMP!
Personal touch;
Smooth, simplistic, stylish, fluid, deep.

Preference:
I would like a little more intricacy and subtlety; I find this difficult to achieve the effect that I want.

Ability:
Not very flash, I have skill but I lack practical experience.

Originality:
I haven't seen anyone with a similar style to me, although I have seen some people with the same content, its the application that is what really differs. I believe my methods are already unique.

Naming your style:
Fluid, don't think I quite live up to that name yet, but I'm working on it :3

Meditation:
I can imagine it quite clearly, but I know I'm not good enough to create it yet.
A pig and a cow and @#w#@ can be the very best of friends
My style idea:
In this style I will connect my old pentool style with 'realistic' metal shading. This style can be used for amors, robotic heads and every other piece which has to do with metal. The main idea is to create shapes and to shade them with the brushtool then.

What is special 'bout my style:
The cool thing with that style is that you can create really precise shapes and shade them by hand, this makes the head texture really unique and the price goes up. Also I do think that noone had this idea before nor noone creates textures like that at the moment.

How to make it:
You create the outlines for your headtexture with the pentool and stroke them with a black brush. After the main shapes have been created you select a really small brush and shade the shapes with black & white. It's necessary to connect the shapes so the texture has a nice flow and doesnt look cluttered.

I think that the first textures in this style may seem a bit odd because I am not that good at shading. This is what I got so far:

The styles name is 'avesha'.
Envirobotic

Description

When Enviromental, organic, and natural combine with Robotic, metallic and inorganic. The style consists of the ideas of robotic textures, typically yet not necessarily visor style but intertwined in the style are more natural and flowing effects. I like to think that the head is like a helmet, that has something living under there, and has living things surrounding it.

The special thing about my style would be that it is neither one style of robotic, nor another style of natural features.

For now I will be trying out visor's mixed with the natural things, but I may perhaps move into natural things with touches of metallic and robotic features, i.e, a face with robotic eyes.

To work on

I need to work on creating more realistic effects both metallic and organic. This would include learning some new techniques on photoshop and ideas.

Hope this sums up the style well enough thanks for reading :P
Last edited by Lebo; Mar 23, 2010 at 03:17 AM.
Description:

The colours used will be dark and mysterious, and they will blend together. This will be used in a variety of different types of sets, mainly favourite kind: robotic. Certain details will stand out a lot more than the other parts. eg, a dark plating could have a bright visor glow, and have a screen effect. I will also mix it with a slight human element, for example eyes visible through the visor or fingers visible at the end. I want to go beyond the simple outer shell and delve deeper within, adding extra detail.

Name? Well, I have no idea. Perhaps the classic "Humanoid"?

to be edited
<lumpysolo> ermergerd it's jalis <lumpysolo> love u too jalis <3
<jalis> you are worthless <jalis> ignored for my sanity