Ranking
Original Post
Let's Play: Dwarf Fortress
What the hell are you going on about?
This is a community game of Dwarf Fortress, and as such, all suggestions made by the community will be considered for addition to this fortress. In addition, people can request that dwarves be named after them, and what those dwarves should do.

What is this "Dwarf Fortress" that you're talking about?
To rip off Wikipedia, Dwarf Fortress is a computer game by Bay 12 Games for Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X set in a high fantasy universe that combines aspects of roguelike and city-building games. The title of the game is inspired by its primary focus on the construction, management, and exploration of dwarven fortresses within the game world.

What does this mean to you? There's dwarfs, and they do dwarfy things, like dig, drink alcohol, party, flood the world with magma, and get torn to pieces by schools of carp.

Sounds awesome! So what are the graphics like?

Oh God, my eyes are bleeding!
Relax, I'm going to make this more noob-friendly and use a tileset for this fortress. It'll look more like this. I've added some labels, but I'm sure you'll figure it out on your own.

No, that's not a typo. I mean it when I say dorf.

Okay, so how can I get involved then?
Just post! I'll consider all suggestions for the fortress, and attempt as many as I can! Want a Dorf named after you? Want Him/Her to be a Wrestler that charges out naked to tear any thread to the safety of the fort limb from limb?
Let me know!

I'm going to go find a location, and post the details of the embark here in the next post, along with the profiles of the dwarves.
<+veb> dude___________________._____________________<hampa> the hosting center decided to raise the price
<+veb> I am to durnk to pu6t in the wriute commmand lol ___<hampa> and we only run irc on this machine which is a bit of a waste
<+veb> and u suxc u cant od it gfro me ______|______._____<Lapsus> How much power is behind the IRC server?
<+veb> ;oml?________________________________________<hampa> it is like delivering pizza using an airplane
The Birth of Nindatan

Okay, So we're on the way to the future site of our fort, Toeiron. Here's what we're bringing along with our seven dwarfs.

Here's the current status of the fortress, in all it's potential glory!

So, we've got seven dorfs that need names, six male, one female!
I can provide the profiles of the dwarfs if you really want to see them.
Last edited by Lapsus; Sep 29, 2009 at 07:08 AM.
Originally Posted by Loachflava View Post
looks like to much effort

Because there's so much effort in saying things like "Oh hey can you name that dwarf after me?" and "We should totally have a waterfall in the dining hall"
<+veb> dude___________________._____________________<hampa> the hosting center decided to raise the price
<+veb> I am to durnk to pu6t in the wriute commmand lol ___<hampa> and we only run irc on this machine which is a bit of a waste
<+veb> and u suxc u cant od it gfro me ______|______._____<Lapsus> How much power is behind the IRC server?
<+veb> ;oml?________________________________________<hampa> it is like delivering pizza using an airplane
15th Granite, 201

Everyone's been moved underground, and just in time, as it started to pour down rain as we were moving our belongings into the beginnings of the fortress.

Our farmer has managed to get the farm up and going almost immediately, so we should have a steady supply of plump helmets to dine on in the near future, not to mention brewing!

Our miners have dug an exploratory shaft down five levels, and we've hit plenty of chalk and obsidian! Hopefully we'll be able to find some iron ore soon, so that we can start making some steel armor for our future military.

Everyone is exhausted after our long journey, and some are falling asleep where they stand! I'll have to order some beds to be made, and get the miners to dig us out some proper accomodations.

Last edited by Lapsus; Sep 29, 2009 at 08:50 AM.
Looks good.
Way better than what stonewall described to me.
He kept going ON AND ON about a bunch of lava.
I can has dwarf named ownagehuh?

He can drink beer and boss people around amirite.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
.::[Latin]::..-Ldr[GU]-[OLDA]-[PwN]-[TO]-[BISH]-[MG]-[WLT]

[Auction].::Full Demo Set::.
~TheElement Signature WingFlame