Toribash
Original Post
Searching Forums Without the Search Function
Hello Toribash community!

I've noticed that there are a lot of players asking questions about things that have their own threads already. Also in the tutorial section where some will accidentally make a tutorial that has already been written. However, since there is currently no search function on the site, they can't search for the answers themselves or see if a tutorial has been written. Or can they? Here I will explain how to search the forum without the use of the search function.

The Search:

1.) Open Google.

2.) Type what you are specifically searching for into the search bar. Do not search yet. Lets say you want to know if there's a tutorial on making flames. Type "how to make a flame" into the search bar.

3.) Type "site:forum.toribash.com" after what is already typed. It should look like this so far:

"how to make a flame site:forum.toribash.com"

Go ahead and hit "Google Search" now.

4.) Search through the pages to find what you're looking for!

That's it!

It's not perfect but you can usually find what you're looking for faster than if you asked a question about it on the forums. This will work with any search site that has an advanced search where you can search a site but you'll probably have to type something different depending on the site. Though I doubt there will be any, any questions regarding this tutorials contents can be directed here. Also, drop a comment if it's, helpful as I hope it is.
Last edited by LWafflez; Jul 23, 2010 at 05:42 AM. Reason: typos
You might want to add on to it or something it looks pretty pale right now.

But very useful. I do this all the time.
Originally Posted by Bloobing View Post
You might want to add on to it or something it looks pretty pale right now.

But very useful. I do this all the time.

Screenshots? XD.. Seriously though I couldn't think of anything to make it look less bland. Any suggestions in that area would be appreciated.
Hey, that's a useful tutorial. Unlike most of the tutorials that are being made nowadays, this could actually help people.
★★★★★
[Sigma] [ORMO] [OLDA] [OSHI] [a]lly
Glad I could help =]. I was getting tired of seeing the repeat tutorials and questions with the simple answers in the other sections. Hopefully this reduces that and lets the mods deal with the real problems.
Originally Posted by sp4sm View Post
Is there still a search function on here? Or is Google the only way?

Currently there is no search function. There's a thread about it here from March saying that it will be fixed soon. So yes, Google (or any search engine with an 'advanced search' option really) is the only way.
One flaw;

if you search a keyword that will obviously be used in many places..
it only comes up with a couple results.

Originally Posted by LWafflez
It's not perfect but you can usually find what you're looking for faster than if you asked a question about it on the forums. Though I doubt there will be any, any questions regarding this tutorials contents can be directed here. Also, drop a comment if it's, helpful as I hope it is.

As he said, it's not perfect. Namely, only more obscure keywords will work in the search..which is probably the least likely search to conduct.

:/
Do you know why it's limited to so few results?
Does the keyword have to be in a thread name?
T1cux: clan have eggs.