Toribash
Original Post
Horizon: Do You See What I See? - Colours.
I don't suppose that many people watch (or have access to) the TV series Horizon. It's a show that focuses on what's happening in the current scientific community, and right now they're doing a series named
'Do You See What I See?'.

Todays episode focused on colour. How does it affect us? Do we all see the same colours?

There were a few interesting finds, such as the fact that red:
-Enhances your awareness of time
-Enhances your sense of confidence
-Enhances your sense of hearing
and blue:
-decreases your awareness of time
-decreases your sense of sleepiness
-enhances your sense of relaxation
Some people might have already guessed at a few of those things, but did you know that colours that aren't blue or yellow actually are associated with past experience? We have to learn red, green, purple, orange etc., whereas yellow and blue are a fundamental part of our hard-wiring.
We only associate red with harm, danger and the like because that's what we've come to learn that it means.

Another interesting point that was brought up was that we might not see colours other than yellow or blue the same!
Colour appears to actually be created in the brain as opposed to picked up in the eyes, so...
The language we speak even has an effect upon how we see colours! A tribe visited in the show had only 5 words for all the colours, as opposed to our 11.
What was interesting is that because their words split colours differently (one word can mean a different type of green to another, as well as some blues and browns for example), they actually see colours differently. A picture with 12 squares was presented to them, and to me they all looked green, but the people of the tribe were able to pick out the one with a different pigment immediately. They were then presented with another 12 squares, this time one of the squares was blue, and the others were all green, the result was they they had extreme difficulty in identifying the blue, which to us appear obvious.
Because other colours like red and green are learned from experience then, this is actual evidence that we might not see colours the same at all!

So, your thoughts? I know this topic is a bit different in comparison to the rest asking 'Do you believe in ghosts' or what not, but I thought it would be interesting seeing your responses! Do you think it's true, that we don't see colour the same, or are you sure that it's the same for everyone?
Colors can be explained by measuring the wavelengths of the light "captured" by our eyes. While there is a slight chance that each brain will interpret these wavelengths differently, it is more likely that the signals sent to the brain correspond in (at least) similar ways with the different colors (wavelengths).

That being said, a tribesman, who lives in a forest, will obviously see the color green with a greater clarity than those who live in cities. Why? Because he is constantly surrounded by greens. With enough exposure, we would be able to distinguish between shades of white. The reason he has trouble seeing the difference between blues and greens is because, as I've stated before, he is in the forest. The sky or a small selection of creatures are blue, and a vibrant/bright blue at that. No small differences in shades. He does not need to distinguish between very-close-in-shade blues and greens, because there are none where he lives.

As for your explanation on blue and yellow being fundamental, it is close, but not quite correct. The fundamental colors are red, green, and blue (While the primary colors are red, yellow, and blue.) All of what we see is simply combinations of those colors.

The language spoken does not affect how the wavelength enters our eyes, or how the signals are sent to the brain, the only effect it would have is how we describe those colors.

To end, we do "see" colors the same. Meaning that we are all capable of receiving signals from our eyes (blind people aside). The differences arise from the environment we are in and how in-tune to colors we need to be for our most common tasks.
-- Jet -- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. --
[Secret]AikidoKP

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefor I exist.

I know it's true because it says so right here in this signature.
Well, I'm color blind. Not in the Black and White gray scale color blind, but more accurately have Color Vision Deficiency.
Which brought up the question, why can't color blind people see colors? Or even more, why can't people with color vision deficiency see colors, as in see some shades of colors but not be able to depict them from others.
I then researched some and found that non-color blind people have 3 cone types inside your eyes. One for each primary color. When one is stronger others are weaker, etc. To show shades of colors. I found this rather intresting. But the problem for people with color vision deficiency, is that 1 of those cones is either faulty or is missing completely. This means that I can still See colors, Just less of them.
But heres where I start guessing/questioning.
If one of these cones in my eyes is either gone or not working. Why is it that I seem to be able to see 3 primary colors? I'm guessing that I see these colors but seem maybe one of them different from what you may see. I.g. You see Red, Blue, and Green. But perhaps I see Red Blue, and something that's not green but that's just how i see it. And I call that green. Does this make sense to anyone, or am I wrong?
----
Also just found out that I'm red color blind.
Last edited by JayStar; Aug 9, 2011 at 11:37 PM.
It really depends on which one you are. As you mentioned yourself, it is either faulty or missing. If it is faulty, then some of that specific color work and others don't, making that color more dull. If it is missing altogether, then that color would appear as a grayish color, with the other two trying to compensate. (Or so I've been told from the experience of a friend.) I suppose in a way you would "see" that color different, but only because you are told that is red while you see a more gray color. The color red itself has not changed, only your eye's ability to absorb that wavelength.

I do understand that there are exceptions to what I've said above, but (and not to be mean) I was referring to the general population. Finding exceptions further prove the point by saying that the only way to see it differently is to have a different set of receivers. So I thank you JayStar.
-- Jet -- Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. --
[Secret]AikidoKP

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefor I exist.

I know it's true because it says so right here in this signature.
Well I wasn't in anyway trying to find flaws in what you said, just expanding the discussion, bringing more points in. And you did answer my question. So thank you AikidoKP.
My favorite color is green.

~user infracted, useless post
Last edited by BenDover; Aug 10, 2011 at 02:36 PM.
Damn I miss wibbles.
- Yes, colours have distinct connotations.
- Colours are an abstract concept applied to our senses, they do not 'exist' as such, each person *sees* colours differently, we just apply certain names to them that are common.
- Yes, the boundaries between colours are conceptual, the light spectrum is a constant spectrum, it is not broken up in to discrete blocks.
- Colours are, like everything else, affected by context and thus culture.

It is sad that you brought up a subject that is really well defined and thus there is not really anything to discuss... Interesting topic though.
This would be more in the off-topic area, because this is a discussion that was already discussed.

~user warned, backseat moderating
Last edited by BenDover; Aug 10, 2011 at 02:37 PM.