Ranking
Original Post
Problem On New GPU
Yesterday I visited the Computer Shop to buy a GT 440.
The thing is, the computer shop guy told me it was a PCI-E 2.0x16.
My Motherboard is MSI G31TM-P31. (I currently have an 8400GS inside it. lamest gpu ever)
I do not know if the GT 440 would fit or not because it's PCI-E 2.0x16.
And my 8400GS is PCIE-2.0 .
sorry for the sucky english, i was on a hurry.
Thanks.
Definitely not Josh Lintag
If an 8400 fits, it's x16. However, you have PCIe 1, it seems. Backwards compatibility may be possible.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
What is the difference between a PCIe 2.0 and a PCIe 2.0x16 anyway?
Definitely not Josh Lintag
x16 defines how long the slot is.
Squad Squad Squad lead?
The standardization of Toribash Squad roles may have gone too far!
all PCIe 16x are backwards compatible, 3.0 to 2.1 to 2.0 to 1.1 to 1.0

"PCIe 2.0 motherboard slots are fully backward compatible with PCIe v1.x cards. PCIe 2.0 cards are also generally backward compatible with PCIe 1.x motherboards, using the available bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1. Overall, graphic cards or motherboards designed for v2.0 will work with the other being v1.1 or v1.0a."

all PCIe 16x ports as suo stated are the same size. the revision versions (ie, 1.0, 2.0..) are mainly increases in bus bandwidth within the port. so for higher end cards that need more bandwidth a newer PCIe 16x port was created so they can utilize a higher throughput. all it will do is limit your total data transfer rate on the card you would buy, which in the case of either a gt 440 or a hd 5770 will not be higher than a standard 8800gtx(standard PCIe 16x card). the cards will work and run very efficiently.
You don't say?