Endurance Onslaught 6.0
Original Post
The issue of virus
This came to my mind when I recently caught a virus called the moneypak virus. The virus threatened to permanently lock your computer unless you paid them 300usd. Some people just say get anti-virus software so you dont have to pay to get it fixed. but then think about it. Its money coming out of your pocket either way. weather you pay the ransomware, pay to get it fixed, or you pay a jacked up virus protection fee. What do you think we could do to stop the high funds lost due to virus in general.

on another note, who else caught the virus yesterday that claimed to be flashplayer.

Article on the subject
Last edited by Blackhaze7; Sep 16, 2013 at 12:35 AM.
Anti virus won't always save you, especially if it's something bad / annoying like AVG. Yeah but there is still free anti virus versions around which might be obviously better than not having an anti virus at all.
I have norton full and it saved my pc from trojans and shit, I think anti virus is the best way to go, because why pay the randsom to some assholes who are hacking your pc and making you give them 300 bucks then shell it out for anti virus software that will help and the moneys not going to some shit cause.
I have a foolproof method that avoids all viruses
step 1) get a UNIX-based OS
step 2) don't download stupid shit and don't visit shit sites

Step one may be skipped.
f=m*a syens
Originally Posted by Arglax View Post

Step one may be skipped.

Fool proof all right, read this please. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wo...er-viruses.htm

You can get viruses and not do anything wrong.
Originally Posted by dupbuck View Post
Fool proof all right, read this please. http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wo...er-viruses.htm

You can get viruses and not do anything wrong.

The list you link there is old. Most anti viruses will block them. Besides, they're mostly windows-based anyway.
f=m*a syens
Originally Posted by Arglax View Post

Step one may be skipped.

Linux and UNIX can still get viruses. Mainly just not going to dodge websites will protect you.

It's possible but unlikely to be targeted by malware, misconfigured or unprotected machines are at risk even if the user has good habits.

The best way to go is to keep all your stuff backed up, and reinstall your OS periodically.

If your important stuff is on dropbox/google/etc then it's not a big deal to reinstall. If you do rolling reinstalls over your computers then you can always LAN restore your backups.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
arglax you just ignored this http://blog.videojs.com/post/6130984...o-js-cdn-files which i posted in the first post. on a global scale people were infected with a virus that has caused all browsers with the exeption of few like safari to be rendered useless. some were spared I guess. but you dont have to do much to get a virus. and even with antivirus software i still got this virus unfortunately.
-----
also it wyped out my system restore points, my only option would be a complete restore :<
Last edited by Blackhaze7; Sep 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
..Or you could just get any free antivirus software on the net.

Two best are/were Avira Antivir and Avast.

..And I still have problems understanding how people actually manage to catch viruses. :/

Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
The best way to go is to keep all your stuff backed up, and reinstall your OS periodically.

If your important stuff is on dropbox/google/etc then it's not a big deal to reinstall. If you do rolling reinstalls over your computers then you can always LAN restore your backups.

And get to the point where Windows doesn't want to register due to have been registered (too many times) with same key before? :P
well this one effected me while i was on any site. it constantly tried to get me to download "flash player update" which was really a virus. avg told me there was a threat but was nonetheless unable to protect me.