Toribash
Original Post
[Tablets]Is it worth to use them
Hello everyone,
Few days ago I started creating Toribash textures.
I really like art and I would like to go further - buy a TABLET.

1. Is it really worth to buy one?
2. What are advantages and drawbacks?
3. How can it help me in making textures?

Can you please help me?

Here are some examples of my textures:

http://forums.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=59095 <-- Head texture shop
Last edited by Luke; Nov 13, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I haven't ever used one, but from what I hear they are wonderful, as long as you get a good one.

Advantages: Well that would depend on how good you are at drawing in RL. :P
Disadvantages: My friend has one and he says it will lag sometimes.
~®awksoniC
---
/.---------====/:::::=:=:::::\====---------.\
|..D.....A....\...../...|./.../’’..../”’\...|\..|...|.../’’’..|
|..l \.../..\....\/\/....l.\..._/....\,,/...|..\|...|...\_,'.|
\.---------====\:::::=:=:::::/====---------./
I'm wondering if I'll buy a tablet as well. It is of course awesome if you're good at drawing normally, but if you're new... Well, then it can help you train.
Thanks, and thanks for comment on my Tribal texture set thread =)

Yea I think you are right =)
I love drawing in Real
Im just wondering if it can help me in making head textures
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes it can.
I've got a Bamboo Fun A6.
And no , it doesnt lag at all.Its alot easier to control than a mouse.
Its definately worth buying it.
RelaxAll was life. Feels bad to be an oldie.
Ok thank you, I was thinking of getting Wacom Bamboo Fun A5 or A6, haven't decided yet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tablets are fairly expensive, so you might want to make sure you're proficient at programs like Photoshop so that it won't be a wasted investment. If you're spending that kind of money, you want to make sure you use the item to its fullest potential.

That being said, tablets are really useful, once you get they hang of them. They DO have a fairly steep learning curve. It's a very different feel to be looking at the screen, and be drawing somewhere else. Some people have a lot of trouble with the disconnect between the two ideas.

The solution to that is a Cintiq (what I'm saving up for), but if you had the money for one of those, you wouldn't be debating a tablet.

Anyway... your questions...

1. Is it really worth to buy one?

Just for TB textures? IMO, no. If you plan to use it for other things, possibly.

2. What are advantages and drawbacks?

Advantages- More precision, easier flow of lines, more hand rendered feel to images.

Drawbacks- Cost, learning curve, limited applications for someone like you.

3. How can it help me in making textures?

mostly in the line of detail adjusting, and freeform objects. Making geometric textures, a pen won't be that much use, but if you're looking for organic, biomorphic, and natural shapes a tablet is great. Also, coloring can be really dynamic while using a tablet.

If I had to recommend that you do something, check with your school. Sometimes art departments have one or two that they're let you try out. My school has a few graphic design related courses, so we have almost 30 tablets. (I don't ever use them for TB textures though)

But you really should see if you can try it out first... they're expensive, and if you find out that you don't really like it, that would be a lot of $ down the drain.
Last edited by Brainstorm; Nov 12, 2008 at 08:01 PM.
Novitech,
thank you very much for your comment. It explains everything I would like to know.
Cintiq is awesome but too expensive for me (I would not use it well [im not pro enough])

I will think about testing one my friend is planning to buy. If it is good I think I will buy it.

Thank you very much once again,
Regards,
iTzLUK3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
a tablet is only useful if you can draw in real life. don't expect it to improve your drawing capabilities. if you can draw though, and want to use different programs to enhance the process, it's worth it.

I'd recommend a WACOM Bamboo Fun, which is what I have, it's easy to use, and the support for it is pretty responsive.

as with any tablet though, if you live near radio towers, don't get one, the cursor will be shaky.
Former Item Forger