Ranking
Original Post
Bump map textures
Here are a few ways to create bump map textures for your tori.

Firstly, you need photoshop and http://developer.nvidia.com/object/p...s_plugins.html this plug in for it.

* http://registry.gimp.org/node/69 you can also use this plug in for GIMP.

The easy way to create a bump map texture is to simply open up the texture you want to map, go to Filter>Nvidia tools>Normal Map filter, Click ok, and you're done, upload this texture.

However, this will only create a bump based on the actual texture, not the structure that the texture represents.

In order to do this, create a new layer above the texture you want to bump (so you have something to refer to), and colour it a mid grey. The more you want a part of the texture to stand out, the whiter it should be (eg. a nose) the more you want it to dent in, the blacker it should be (eg. an eye socket). At the end, you will have a heightmap of your texture. Try doing things like adding noise, or a texture via the texturizer filter to create a little depth to the texture. Then go to Filter>Nvidia tools>Normal Map filter, Click ok. Flatten the image and save as a tga file and you're done, upload this texture.

Heres an example using my head texture

Original Texture

Greyscale Heightmap

Normal/Bump map

Finally, you could, in theory, make a high detail 3d model of your toris head, and use this to make a normal map, but if you have the skill to do this, you don't need me to explain how.

CM
Last edited by ClockworkMonkey; May 20, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
so u go in and actually make a new layer on top of it and color it white/grey?
T1cux: clan have eggs.
that just lets you see what you are editing more easily, save it as a tga file at the end (delete the original texture layer)
Great tutorial bro : )

[Evil] is recruiting!

<DesiTwist> terty plays tb with the ghost turned off, uke turned off and uses that mouse with the ball in it
Ah, didn't know about the greyscale technique!
That might make bumpmapping worthwhile then

Before, It always got screwed up cuz of my normal shading.

Thanks a ton!

<3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
Ah, didn't know about the greyscale technique!
That might make bumpmapping worthwhile then

Before, It always got screwed up cuz of my normal shading.

Thanks a ton!

<3

All I knew about was the grayscale technique! :P

And thank you, Clockworkmonkey.

EDIT: Ok, now it is annoying me. The Nvidia filter is not working, it does not map it at all. It just makes it completely blue.
Last edited by Buttchouda; May 4, 2009 at 09:39 PM.
BUTTCHOUDA
excellent tut clockwork, shame i dont have bumpmaps

butt: do you have the texture layer selected, and all of it, not just a part? i found thats one way for it to muck up.
you're best off deleting the texture (original) file and so you just have the greyscale layer, then saving that as something, opening it again and then doing the normal map filter. The filter can be a little tempremental, but this method works 90% of the time.