Ranking
Original Post
Looking for a decent laptop
Well, I've been moving from apartment to apartment nowadays, and it'd be much easier to pack a laptop than a comp. So my question is: What do you think would be an affordable laptop that can run Toribash with shaders? I do quite a bit of gaming. Money is not a problem, but the lower the price, the happier the mishmosh.
ψ|TRG|liveCRUX
Aim to get a laptop with an nvidia or ATI GPU, the intel 'GMA' series sucks too much to play toribash properly. Thats my two cents.

Also, you should talk about screen size/resolution, what things you do (such as how many tabs you often have open while browsing the internet, what you do with media, such as tons of photos or music, and what other games you play).
This will give people a better idea of what to recommend.
toshiba makes great laptops for price, i would go with a toshiba satellite series laptop if you're looking for a laptop that can handle moderate gaming, if you want a good gaming laptop though go with the qosmio series, they're a bit more expensive but worth the price
You don't say?
I usually have many tabs up at once, and can't really help but have shitloads of music and photos. I also play League of Legends and BF2. Its hard to decide between a music laptop and a gaming laptop. Hoping to find one that can balance out the two.
ψ|TRG|liveCRUX
toshiba satellite laptops can handle everyday tasks and light gaming but the qosmio series can handle anything
You don't say?
"Affordable" depends on your budget here. Most of the time, though, you should be able to find a sub-$1000 laptop that can do reasonably well with gaming/multimedia/whatever other tasks you want to throw at it.

My incoming laptop was about $1400, but I had a coupon that dropped the price by $200. You can usually find pretty good deals on laptops on LogicBuy. I'd expect a price tag of between $600 and $1000 for a reasonable one (with coupon), though if you want to splurge a bit, go for it. ;)

EDIT: The ASUS N61JQ has pretty decent specs, and it's sub-$1000. Though the smaller HDD (320GB) might turn you off. Alternatively, you could wait for a decent coupon to come up for it and get it with a bigger hard drive, etc. I will note that its battery life is pretty much guaranteed to be awful, so steer away from anything like that if you're planning to be extremely mobile.
Last edited by hanz0; Jul 29, 2010 at 07:03 AM.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&